CRF Action/History Question

aglass228

AH member
Joined
Mar 6, 2025
Messages
30
Reaction score
16
Hey guys,
Which CRF action is more authentic to an actual Mauser action, a CZ 550 or Winchester Model 70?
I recently started studying into CZ firearms, because I have never owned any much less been around anyone with a CZ. I grew up shooting Winchester Model 70s that were CRF and a few cheaper push feed models.
I have been recently researching Mausers themselves, and from what I have found out is CZ was made to produce the Mauser rifles in the approx 1920s near the WW1 and WW2 era. This has me wondering how much variation is there between the actual mauser 98 action, model 70, and cz 550. If my findings are correct, cz has lineage to mauser productions so I would assume the 550 would resemble the original 98 more than the Winchester. Just been doing alot of reading on the history of mauser 98s and CZs. Thanks
 
All three have 3-position safeties, controlled feed action, and snap over capability for cartridges dropped in the chamber. You can add Springfield 1903 and Enfield 1917/P14 to the list. Model 70 was last to the party but not by much (1930s?). It's the only one of the bunch that doesn't trace its birth to the battlefield. The most significant differences being their safety designs. Mauser and Springfield had flip over "flag" between cocking piece and bolt shroud that was not scope friendly. CZ, Model 70, and Enfields have scope friendly safety on the side (CZ and Model 70 on the bolt shroud and Enfield attached to receiver). All copied the Mauser claw extractor.
 
If my findings are correct, cz has lineage to mauser productions so I would assume the 550 would resemble the original 98 more than the Winchester. Just been doing alot of reading on the history of mauser 98s and CZs. Thanks
I dont know much of technical details but ZKK and CZ550 diverted from Mauser design with something in the bolt. If you want to install 3 position safety, the masuer 98 parts will not fit to ZKK and CZ 550. Safety for ZKK and CZ 550 is produced by AHR for them. Other similar safeties for 98 will fit other mausers. like zastava, voere, older europan masuers, but not Checzs rifles.
(dont ask me how I learnt that :sneaky: )
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,653
Members
169,791
Latest member
GaryManci
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top