Converting a P14 enfield

These actions are cock on closing correct? What are the benefits of converting to cock on opening? Primarily safety?

I guess I’m just asking what the pros and cons are of either converting or keeping it the way it is.
@Wishfulthinker580
Absolutely NONE. Cock on closing is quicker because only part of the cocking is in opening the rest on closing. You don't have the cocking cams in the bolt that are Al lot stiffer in a cock on opening.
NEVER, NEVER converting a P14/M17 to cock on opening. To me it stuffs up a perfectly simple design.
Bob

@Wishfulthinker580
Absolutely NONE. Cock on closing is quicker because only part of the cocking is in opening the rest on closing. You don't have the cocking cams in the bolt that are Al lot stiffer in a cock on opening.
NEVER, NEVER converting a P14/M17 to cock on opening. To me it stuffs up a perfectly simple design.
Bob
Thank you sir (y). I’ll likely leave it like it is then

I agree with Bob on every aspect and absolutley love both the P14 and 1917. Back in the late 80's you could pick these actions up for $30-$40 and even though some were demilled, they could easily be made into great rifles. I had a batch of Winchester demills with barrels that simply had a hole drilled through the chamber and a rod driven into it. We would knock those rods out and one old gunsmith I knew would plug, weld and rechamber them but only for cast bullets. He would stamp them "Cast Bullets - Low Velocity Only". I worked in a mold shop at the time on 3rd shift and made a jig to hold 6 actions and would set up the large auto surface grinder to run all night and presto! No more ears. My .35 Whelen is the only one I have left but it sports a Douglas barrel, Timney trigger and shoots fantastic. And it is cock on close and I wouldnt change it for anything.

These actions are cock on closing correct? What are the benefits of converting to cock on opening? Primarily safety?

I guess I’m just asking what the pros and cons are of either converting or keeping it the way it is.
It feels a little smoother I have both ways the book I had on conversions was Williams gun parts.i have a couple of p17 projects id get rid of reasonable one or two if someone wants pm me I'm in Virginia right now

I agree with Bob on every aspect and absolutley love both the P14 and 1917. Back in the late 80's you could pick these actions up for $30-$40 and even though some were demilled, they could easily be made into great rifles. I had a batch of Winchester demills with barrels that simply had a hole drilled through the chamber and a rod driven into it. We would knock those rods out and one old gunsmith I knew would plug, weld and rechamber them but only for cast bullets. He would stamp them "Cast Bullets - Low Velocity Only". I worked in a mold shop at the time on 3rd shift and made a jig to hold 6 actions and would set up the large auto surface grinder to run all night and presto! No more ears. My .35 Whelen is the only one I have left but it sports a Douglas barrel, Timney trigger and shoots fantastic. And it is cock on close and I wouldnt change it for anything.
@supergrizzly
This is my 35 AI on a M17, Douglas air gauged competition barrel 1:12 twist, timney trigger set at 2#, Boyd's stock and still cock on closing and guppy belly removed.
20210220_125903.jpg

I regret not buying the last Remington model 30 I seen in person maybe 6-7 years ago, think it was $300 in 3006. I remember not buying it because the curse of the 3006 struck that year again. First time I lost what may have been a near 200 inch buck in Alabama, lost it for the stupidest reason and losing your lifetime buck I enuff for me to put off a cartridge for a good while.

I regret not buying the last Remington model 30 I seen in person maybe 6-7 years ago, think it was $300 in 3006. I remember not buying it because the curse of the 3006 struck that year again. First time I lost what may have been a near 200 inch buck in Alabama, lost it for the stupidest reason and losing your lifetime buck I enuff for me to put off a cartridge for a good while.
@TroyF
You should have bought it at that price, rebored it to 35 cal and not lost an animal again if you do your bit. The 35 would have done the job.
Bob

@TroyF
You should have bought it at that price, rebored it to 35 cal and not lost an animal again if you do your bit. The 35 would have done the job.
Bob
Lol at the time I had a nice 03 Springfield John van Patten bored out for me in 358 Norma mag. Something with 3006 and Me doesn't jive, I've killed tons of deer with 222'22-250 and 243 and never lost one animal. I still like shooting and loading the 06 just can't get my self to hunt with it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.