Clothing in firearm case

Please feel free to move if in wrong forum.
For my first Safari I am traveling to Johannesburg from Atlanta then on to Port Elizabeth. I have a Tuffpak and plan to have two rifles in soft cases inside the Tuffpak. Can I pack clothes in the case? I see different comments on some posts. Thank you in advance.

Don't do anything like that.

Pack your rifles in a case designed for something like that and pack as little as possible another things inside. You never know who is controlling and how this one suddenly decide and declare everything as non-compliant for rifles transport.

I travel with rifles already 40 years and can only say that it is getting more and more difficult to travel with rifles and ammo.

I use a Tuffpak. Always have guns in soft cases with coat on bottom of Tuffpak and pants or jacket on top to stabilize the guns. Butt of guns at top so it is easy to slide out/in and inspect serial number. Never had a problem.

That will depend on different countrie´s regulations.

Where I come from, only the firearm and scope is allowed.

That will depend on different countrie´s regulations.

Where I come from, only the firearm and scope is allowed.
Not even a knife?

I would not do that either.

The gun case has to be opened frequently so that the knife is also seen very often. This can trigger various requests from controllers, also wants. Moreover, there are laws regarding knives in all countries and hardly any of us think about it before a hunt. For all this reasons it is better to carry the knife nondescript in the luggage.

I would not do that either.

The gun case has to be opened frequently so that the knife is also seen very often. This can trigger various requests from controllers, also wants. Moreover, there are laws regarding knives in all countries and hardly any of us think about it before a hunt. For all this reasons it is better to carry the knife nondescript in the luggage.
Seeing stuff in the case that is not listed on the inventory airlines put in the case might trigger suspicion from security inspectors. "What's this doing in here?" Suspicion is not desirable when traveling with guns. Don't make things complicated.

On my last trip from the US my rifle case was opened exactly once. In the SAP's office to check my permit. TSA just X-rayed it in Denver. I did have a cleaning kit and my soft case in the rifle case.

As for knifes, if it is not legal in your area or where you are going odds are it will be detected. I have also never had a inventory list made up of what is in my case. The only thing that any airline has requested for me to do was to place the UNLOADED FIREARM card into it.

On my last trip from the US my rifle case was opened exactly once. In the SAP's office to check my permit. TSA just X-rayed it in Denver. I did have a cleaning kit and my soft case in the rifle case.

As for knifes, if it is not legal in your area or where you are going odds are it will be detected. I have also never had a inventory list made up of what is in my case. The only thing that any airline has requested for me to do was to place the UNLOADED FIREARM card into it.

In my case, rifle is inserted in the foam without the bolt, bolt has its own insert in foam.

The inspector sees immediately rifle cannot be loaded.

Departing JHB, the inspector told me he wished everybody would do the same, as he had found loaded rifles in the cases.

In my case, rifle is inserted in the foam without the bolt, bolt has its own insert in foam.

The inspector sees immediately rifle cannot be loaded.

Departing JHB, the inspector told me he wished everybody would do the same, as he had found loaded rifles in the cases.
My second trip to Africa I asked the inspection agent who checked my gun case at the local airport if she wanted me to open the bolts. "No. I can see if they're loaded when I run them through x-ray." Don't know if that's true but I didn't argue. Third trip I again volunteered to open the case and open the bolts. "Not here where people can see!" She motioned for me to take the case off the belt and come around behind the counter to open it up. Sure, okay. You'd think it was New York City not Northern Ontario where moose and deer run through her yard. No one is going to freak out seeing guns in an airport here. Again, you never know how each inspector will react. Try to avoid any decisions having to be made. As much as possible.

Best advice is to take half as many clothes and twice as much money.
Why even take very much money?

More and more outfitters are accepting CC's for final payment and tips, and any store that you are likely to walk into take CC also.

I have a tuffpak and always have clothing in with the rifle/s. But then again I fly out of the UK so its totally different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosettaMar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.