CITES Leopard Permit!

I checked with my importer. He stated that it was at the last stage of processing. Now, my elephant permits are going to go past December, 2022.

I’m not much of a predator hunter but a leopard would be my ultimate hunt and I’m extremely happy for you guys !! Congratulations
Go for it this year. ;)

I applied for my leopard import application permit with USFWS on 7/7/21.
I successfully took a great Zimbabwe leopard on 8/3/21. All the paperwork and hunt and leopard details were submitted successfully and handled by Conservation Force. On 2/18/22 I received my approved Cites permit. Unfortunately my shipper noted a mistake as to the Shippers name on the permit. This mistake had been noted and uploaded to the FWS application process but they failed to use the uploaded information. We contacted USFW and they admitted to the mistake on their end but required us to return the permit and fill out change application form 3-200-52 for the amendment. No processing fee as it was their mistake. They replied they would get the amended permit out shortly. This was on March 8!
after checking with FWS this week we were informed the our permit is currently pending processing and we should be aware they have a significant number of applications pending and we process in the order they are received. It would take them a total of two minutes to correct THEIR mistake but …..
Nicci at trophy shippers and Aimee at Conservation Force have been both efficient and great to work with but this is out of their control. Hopefully this will work out!

I applied for my leopard import application permit with USFWS on 7/7/21.
I successfully took a great Zimbabwe leopard on 8/3/21. All the paperwork and hunt and leopard details were submitted successfully and handled by Conservation Force. On 2/18/22 I received my approved Cites permit. Unfortunately my shipper noted a mistake as to the Shippers name on the permit. This mistake had been noted and uploaded to the FWS application process but they failed to use the uploaded information. We contacted USFW and they admitted to the mistake on their end but required us to return the permit and fill out change application form 3-200-52 for the amendment. No processing fee as it was their mistake. They replied they would get the amended permit out shortly. This was on March 8!
after checking with FWS this week we were informed the our permit is currently pending processing and we should be aware they have a significant number of applications pending and we process in the order they are received. It would take them a total of two minutes to correct THEIR mistake but …..
Nicci at trophy shippers and Aimee at Conservation Force have been both efficient and great to work with but this is out of their control. Hopefully this will work out!
I bet you will be fine. They seem to be fairly prompt with leopard changes.

I certainly hope so but two months and counting doesn’t seem very prompt to me. Fingers crossed

When you say elephant permits are you talking about the US letting them into our country with Taxidermy done? Thanks!

If this were possible I would change my tuskless hunt to bull

When you say elephant permits are you talking about the US letting them into our country with Taxidermy done? Thanks!

USFWS endangered species import permits. Credible 2nd hand accounts that they (elephant and lion) are rolling in over the past few days. This is in addition to named litigants in the USFWS vs Conservation Force lawsuit that were getting their permits a month ago.

Couple that with the volume and speed of USWFS leopard permit approvals and something tells me a fire has been lit under the USWFS ass.

Best good news for our sport I’ve heard since 2016.

USFWS endangered species import permits. Credible 2nd hand accounts that they (elephant and lion) are rolling in over the past few days. This is in addition to named litigants in the USFWS vs Conservation Force lawsuit that were getting their permits a month ago.

Couple that with the volume and speed of USWFS leopard permit approvals and something tells me a fire has been lit under the USWFS ass.

Best good news for our sport I’ve heard since 2016.
@Tanks… curious, if you can get US elephant import to US are you going after a bull or another tuskless?

One major problem has developed with argali sheep permits. Seems they were refused for 2020 and 2021 with UFWS now requesting conservation work done by the operators, much like what is required of African permits. I’m guessing the “case by case” basis for approval has reared its head for argali permits!

One major problem has developed with argali sheep permits. Seems they were refused for 2020 and 2021 with UFWS now requesting conservation work done by the operators, much like what is required of African permits. I’m guessing the “case by case” basis for approval has reared its head for argali permits!

Which points out a very important consideration when you’re considering an outfitter. Buyer beware. Even the most prestigious operators that are household names on TV shows have done shady deals to win new areas out from under existing concession holders. The odds of these areas with these operators resulting in a successful case for “case by case” USFWS importation are nil.

You must whip out a gigantic spreadsheet that shows: A.) Sources of all funding, B.) Commitment to the local community Investment such as soccer team jerseys and bore holes for clean water, C.) CAMPFIRE/Tribal support through permit fees, sponsorship of office construction, vehicles, etc. D.) Antipoaching funding and data on year over year snares collected, poached animals discovered, and programs to reduce human-wildlife conflict, E.) Normal and customary paperwork with evidence of foreign funds, F.) Evidence that the death of the animal was a net-benefit to the species as a whole, G.) Evidence of local community employment opportunities at the camp/lodge, H.) Partnership and/or ownership by indigenous people as operators, leaseholders, or professional hunters, etc, etc, etc.

When you book your ultra-premium hunt with a TV celebrity ask them how long they’ve had an area and whether they will provide you full cooperation with the gathering of the data above. Often times they just got an area, or they haven’t done diddly-squat to address the above over years, or they are cheating on their taxes and will not show their total annual revenue and expenses out of fear the department of revenue gets wind of it and sues them for tax evasion.

It’s a bold new world and dare I say most of the operators are running businesses at present that are in part, scams. They’ll just say “its not our fault your government won’t let you import it, you still owe us premium prices for exportable animals”. Of course the USA‘s onerous demands aren’t really that different to the onerous demands of other nations that are expecting levels of supporting evidence as to why these protected species can be harvested.

Don’t hate the messenger, I’m just telling you the process! You’ll only find out you’re SOL months or years after your hunt when your permit is rejected!

A friend of mine applied electronically with a robust application and A+ supporting evidence in mid-December. It was a Zim cat. He stated he got an automated email yesterday with status change to pending, whatever that may indicate.
In my experience, of once, and now waiting on number two experience, just short of three months to go from applied to pending, and my pending took 72 hours to result in a shipped permit. When I returned it to be amended, it took 12 business days to return to pending with an email confirmation. So hopefully I have an amended permit by next week. Hope you other guys get it worked out as well, and soon. I’m afraid some agents at USFWS are more proficient and efficient that others.

another update--I received email confirmation that my amended permit--originally electronically applied 21 Jan 2022, received April 15 after being notified it was pending on 11 April--and sent amendment request on 14 April 2022--has been changed from pending to issued!

When both the permit and the amended permit went to pending, three days later for each I received notification that permit was issued.

How do you track progress on your cites permit? I can’t seem to find the info on the govt website- big surprise!!

There is a tremor In the force today. I’m hearing multiple reports of USFWS leopard AND elephant permits being approved this week.
Yes! And mine was approved this week also from application dated August 2021. So good news, finally someone doing the job they are paid to do.

Guess I was just plain lucky In 2019. Had mine in 3 months, paid for expedited taxidermy service , so from field to trophy room 9 months.

JB-your story motivated me to chase a leopard and use taxidermist that you chose! Three months for me for processing permit, it just took me two months to get all my stuff together to apply!

congrats KMan!!

godwincp— if application is electronic, log in on Usfws, click on my applications. When it moves to pending, it will say so on the my permit page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!