Cartridge Scoring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by TallGrassHunter, Nov 7, 2016.

1. TallGrassHunter

TallGrassHunter AH Veteran

Gentlemen. I have a problem I've never encountered before. Any help/thoughts on the matter will be most appreciated. Below are photos of cases as ejected from a Winchester 70 in 300WM (bought used and just my 2nd time shooting it). All of the spent cartridges have the same scoring. When I noticed it I first checked the remaining charged cartridges thinking maybe my dies were the problem; not so. The cases show no blemishes until shot. It's not affecting accuracy, as it shot a sub 1/2" group. Hopefully the photos show that the scoring is in the shape of a long, narrow S (-------------_______ kind of like this). Any thoughts or experience with this? Thank you in advance for any help, Richard.

DSC00680 - Copy.JPG DSC00681 - Copy.JPG DSC00682.JPG DSC00684 - Copy.JPG DSC00683.JPG DSC00685.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2016

2. BobT

BobT AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Tanzania
    Looks to me like there is a burr on one of the magazine rails or the feed ramp. Have you tried feeding a round in from the magazine and ejecting it without firing to see if the scratches show up?

ve7poi likes this.

3. PeteG

PeteG AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Feed ramp was my first thought.

4. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    Magazine rails or ramp most likely. If the gun's not a control round feed, maybe the ejector plunger is forcing the case over against the edge of the chamber and/or forward ring of the action during extraction.

ve7poi likes this.

5. TallGrassHunter

TallGrassHunter AH Veteran

Thank you all very much. I did as Bob suggested, fed an empty case, and sure enough the same scoring showed up. I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you each and every one for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

BobT likes this.

6. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    Glad for you. So long as it functions flawlessly I wouldn't worry to much about it.

7. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    I understand your search for excellence, but it really is a cosmetic issue and will not affect the function of the rifle. But I'd search for a solution too if I were you. A little polishing of the magazine rails and ramp should fix it up.

Von Gruff likes this.

8. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    A juducious polishing of the rails should sort that little blemish causing roughness. Under the edge and on the face will be the areas that need attention.

9. postoak

postoak BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
    Try dropping a round into the chamber, closing the bolt, then ejecting the round and then seeing if there are scratches on the case.

10. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    It is from feeding from the rails as everyone else has said. I still get it on a lot of my rifles. Even with polishing you may get some scuffing. Cartridge brass is much softer than rifle steel. Stainless is harder than regular rifle steel but even regular steel once is has been blued or treated with something like melonite has a harder suface yet. Bluing is black Iron oxide or magnetite. It is harder than the steel beneath it by about 1.0 on the Mohs scale. In either case, the brass will likely get scuffed and as mentioned above, it is just cosmetic and has no effect on the function.

ve7poi likes this.