Cape to Kenya

Thanks for the update. Hope you post more photos and notes about your journey on AH.

Every few months I will notice your Instagram posts and enjoy them.

How is the Kawasaki holding up?

Safari Njema!
The KLR’s plastic fairing on the first leg due to bumpy gravel roads began literally to fall off, I secured it down with locking nuts and its holding up better, Also due to vibration the fuel tank rubbed against a frame bolt and caused a leak stranding me close to Mariental Namibia, a few days of tearing the bike down and repairing the hole in the tank I was on the road again.

As far as reliability the KLR has been great, In the thick sand of eastern Namibia it burned a lot of oil struggling along but I kept it topped off. My only complaint is its weight and size however part of that is my fault for carrying a lot of gear.

I arrive in Windhoek next Tuesday and will service the bike and add a few bits like additional lights, taller windshield, fork brace etc before heading out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 102
Where in Northern zambia?...and when you looking at being in lusaka?
I am not sure, I would like to get a bit closer to Tanzania before storing the bike but really want it to be secure as I have had issues in the past of stuff stolen. However I am flying out of Lusaka so however far north I get I will have to hire a ride back down…. May wind up just leaving it in Lusaka and taking off from there later this summer.

I will be in Lusaka on the 1st of May.
 
I am not sure, I would like to get a bit closer to Tanzania before storing the bike but really want it to be secure as I have had issues in the past of stuff stolen. However I am flying out of Lusaka so however far north I get I will have to hire a ride back down…. May wind up just leaving it in Lusaka and taking off from there later this summer.

I will be in Lusaka on the 1st of May.

OK send me a pm when you get to Lusaka...maybe grab a beer
 
Sounds like a great trip. Although that Kenya to Egypt future trip, not sure how you are going to cross Sudan.
 
The KLR’s plastic fairing on the first leg due to bumpy gravel roads began literally to fall off, I secured it down with locking nuts and its holding up better, Also due to vibration the fuel tank rubbed against a frame bolt and caused a leak stranding me close to Mariental Namibia, a few days of tearing the bike down and repairing the hole in the tank I was on the road again.

As far as reliability the KLR has been great, In the thick sand of eastern Namibia it burned a lot of oil struggling along but I kept it topped off. My only complaint is its weight and size however part of that is my fault for carrying a lot of gear.

I arrive in Windhoek next Tuesday and will service the bike and add a few bits like additional lights, taller windshield, fork brace etc before heading out.

There will always be annoying issues. Glad the bike as a whole is doing its job.

Do you use a resource like Lonely Planet to determine what you want to see along the way or just take a destination as it comes.
 
There will always be annoying issues. Glad the bike as a whole is doing its job.

Do you use a resource like Lonely Planet to determine what you want to see along the way or just take a destination as it comes.
Yes it is, I like it a lot. Last year I purchased its twin here in in the States and use it regularly.
 
Yes it is, I like it a lot. Last year I purchased its twin here in in the States and use it regularly.

I am not the traveler like you but am familiar with some places in southern Tanzania and even northern Zambia you might be interested in visiting. They are probably in Lonely Planet as well. If interested I am happy to share a small list.

All the best on your journey. Look forward to the updates.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,309
Messages
1,572,422
Members
169,565
Latest member
LoreneDand
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top