Canada bans import / export of elephant / rhino ivory (hunt trophies also)

Here in Oz we had a Prime Minister in the 1980’s ban any elephant product from coming into the country. He was going to ‘save the elephant’ :rolleyes:
All these bans also work for the agenda of removing firearms. The Wokes are winning and we (firearm owners/hunters) will go the way of the dodo.:(
No worries mate, China will be your overlord soon. Oz then can become a pretend country.

No one interviewed the representatives from the exporting countries. Go figure.

From the article:

"In banning trade in elephant ivory and rhino horn, the Canadian government has shown considerable leadership and reflected the will of Canadians and the vast majority of African nations holding elephant populations. At last, Canadians can rest assured that our country is doing our part to ensure these majestic animals have a future"

I wonder which "vast majority of African nations" asked for this? :ROFLMAO: I call BS.

Connor, replica taxidermy? Replica ivory? There is No such thing - the word your looking for is FAKE, or IMITATION.... and if you’re going to “fake it” then just fake the entire Safari, save $$$ and don’t even travel to Africa but “pretend” you did. Obviously I’m Not directing this at you - agree the ban is ridiculous but I take zero comfort in being able to “fake it”, would rather take nice photos and or a video and have that - at least it would be “real”. I hope eventually Hunters don’t have to fake hunting or replicate real hunting on some video game etc..
I have to disagree with the replica taxidermy being fake. Replica fish mounts are far superior to the traditional skin mounted fish. Plus on every taxidermy mount ever they fake the eyes and mouths.
You still do the same hunt nothing changes there . It’s just a different way of putting your trophy on the wall especially for animals that are a lot more difficult for importing.
Check out kanati taxidermy. It might just change your mind

I don’t think I’ll hunt another elephant, so the following comments are largely meaningless, but I certainly wouldn’t spend the money for a trophy elephant if I couldn’t bring home the ivory.

But, if I did want to hunt elephant again and had a trophy elephant in the budget, I’d shoot non-trophy elephants until I’d spent the same amount of money then send to the people who voted for this a letter explaining sustainable use and pictures showing how thanks to their decision it took killing 4 elephants instead of one to achieve the same level of financial support for elephant conservation.

I have to disagree with the replica taxidermy being fake. Replica fish mounts are far superior to the traditional skin mounted fish. Plus on every taxidermy mount ever they fake the eyes and mouths.
You still do the same hunt nothing changes there . It’s just a different way of putting your trophy on the wall especially for animals that are a lot more difficult for importing.
Check out kanati taxidermy. It might just change your mind
Connor, I’m very familiar with Kanati and they are the only taxidermist I use - especially for “cats”. But a real hide stretched over a styrofoam form and plugged in with glass Eyes is “as close as it gets” to when the animal was alive. If you “fake” the most important part of the trophy - tusks, antlers etc....what’s the point? Even a woman with fake boobs - has “some real parts” - otherwise, if your imagination is that good - marry a Mannequin or a blow-up-doll (I might of just stretched my point to far?). Anyway, I get your point and it’s valid - it’s just not for me.

Correct. If you can’t hunt animal x you don’t need rifle y , now give it up.

Repeat going down the scale.
I agree that they're going after all hunting and all firearms ownership by civilians, but I think they were mainly targeting 50 BMG (for the usual stupid "weapon of war" emotional argument) and cartridges like 460 Wby got caught in that.

Both Canada and the USA are swan diving into the abyss. My state is a dumpster fire that California has been pouring dried dung into. I'm surprised my state still allows firearms of any kind. They have been banning firearms and firearm accessories left and right. Hunting has been on its way out here for years. (limit 1 deer per person, 1 week modern hunting season, strict antler requirements, and the modern hunting season is at the wrong time of year)

We will protect those animals until they go extinct! Then we will blame our political opponents for their extinction (let no tragedy go to waste!).

Rant over, sorry about that.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s potentially tied in with their attempts to ban hunting rifles capable of over 10,000 joules of energy. Argument for ownership was they are used for hunting large and dangerous game, such as elephant. It doesn’t stop with this.
I don't think so, I think that number is high for all but a few elephant guns (though if you are borderline there is a risk that the know nothing will come after you). They were after the 50 BMG sniper rifles. It was weird that that were after some stuff, but you could easily buy 50 BMG. If I was in the protection detail lifestyle, the 50 BMG would scare me a little.

For instance, it was a consideration when I bought a Ruger No 1 in 308 a few years back that at least it would be the last thing to go... Of course they just recently banned those, I don't know where that stands. So having 50 BMG sniper rifles still out there is something they eventually snapped to attention on.

The reason they said it was about elephant and such is their average supporter (at the peak, 18% of the population) is a know nothing green. And maybe also because they didn't want to admit the 50 BMG was even out there.

What people don't get is Canada had, and probably still has some of the slackest gun laws in the world, for non-failed states. I would argue that only the US is slacker. Only a few years back you could go into a gun store with a stack of bills and buy what the Chinese and Soviets thought was an assault rifle, along with JTF2 (probably) with 2000 rounds of ammo, for 400 bucks and leave no trace. There are a lot of things you can buy in Canada but are very illegal in the US.

It is worse now, and maybe the Conservatives will do a cleanup, but I am not holding my breath. A lot of our bad laws were passed by conservatives. It has more to do with arctic countries tending to have most of the population huddled together for warmth in big cities. It also has a lot to do with the Canadian birth rate being so low. As a result we are importing half a million immigrants per year, peace loving to the core, no doubt, but most come from countries with no firearms culture, unless war counts.

I agree that they're going after all hunting and all firearms ownership by civilians, but I think they were mainly targeting 50 BMG (for the usual stupid "weapon of war" emotional argument) and cartridges like 460 Wby got caught in that.
And then it turned out the 460 was specifically mandated by law for certain indigenous ceremonial purposes. Always a hoot when they don't even read the existing laws.

One more reason to add to the Canada sucks list. To any Canadians reading, you really need to kick out Justin Trudeau. He’s a parasite on you guys up there….we’re not doing much better down here but at least Biden doesn’t clap for literal N@zi’s
Oh? Well I guess he just backs them in wars, then. Azov Uber Alles? Of course the US supported the Ukranian, uh, right wing, shall we say, well into the 50s, so at least they knew where to look when they were pushing the color revolution, and the current policy.

I never heard the end of that thing in the Commons. Seemed that the most likely explanation was that someone asked the Speaker for a pass for a constituent to be in the visitors gallery. Then he was announced with a "thank you for your service" nostrum. Admittedly it doesn't seem to be the case that anyone present had any idea what fighting the Russians in the Ukraine during the big one actually might mean. Though given the Russians had killed 3-10 million Ukrainians that decade, and the Germans had a plan to kill 30 million the first year post Barbarossa, (they got half way) you can imagine how a young person might have had some doubts as to into whose arms to run.

It was a huge fiasco for the Government. And apparently it was easy for people to believe they had figured it out. We really need it because with the threshold being 18% to elect Trudeau, 82% against, you need some vibrant educational aids to reach his base.

"In a bid to help protect elephants and rhinos amid plummeting biodiversity worldwide, Canada has banned the import and export of hunting trophies containing elephant tusks or rhino horns."

I don't know if it is actually true that they said what is in that para, or that it is their main purpose, however obviously elephants have nothing to do with "plummeting biodiversity worldwide". It is how this current government thinks. As one reads on there is so much nonsense, who uses numbers over a century time period, and what has sport hunting to do with poaching, other than provide money to combat it. Trudeau is all about making the worst decisions possible relative to a goal, so long as he seems compassionate. It literally seems that his government pursues policies that will cause the most harm, as a priority.

I have contacted my MP to see what the CPC’s stance is. It’s pretty amazing how quiet this has been on the news cycle. If it wasn’t for here, I wouldn’t have even known that this has gone through.

Politicians should come between deer and turkey season.

And here I am thinking my country is run by idiots.....
I feel your pain and I’ve visited Canada several times and each time was a progressively worse experience.

The last visit was for a moose hunt with resident poachers operating on the “exclusive fly in lake” we we’re hunting - then 1.5 hour interrogation by game wardens at the gas station before our 24hr drive home was icing on the cake.

Very sad and I feel sorry for the Canadian hunters. I am living in the Netherlands that has an even more stricter ban in place.

My advice still do the hunt make a nice replica and some photos. It is the experience that counts.

I wrote the the reporter and asked why countries that allow hunting as a part of their wildlife management plans, such as Namibia, were not asked to comment. I will let you know if I hear anything. I suggest anyone with an interest also contact journalists who do such slack reporting and ask why these countries are not contacted.

I wrote the the reporter and asked why countries that allow hunting as a part of their wildlife management plans, such as Namibia, were not asked to comment. I will let you know if I hear anything. I suggest anyone with an interest also contact journalists who do such slack reporting and ask why these countries are not contacted.
The original report I read had nothing about the supporting African Countries just that over 700,000 people signed the petition. That's a lot of people considering I never heard or saw anything about it. I believe the left wing reporter added the African Coutries bs was done on his own. Just so you neighbors South of the Border understand this same Minister of Environment says gas powered vehicles will be banned by 2035 as will oil and gas for heating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pasquale75

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.