Can you save having taxidermy work done in South Africa

I did this deer when I was 25 and couldn't afford a taxidermist. Not that good but am amazed the hair has never slipped

20170221_123906.jpeg

Oh cost didn't have $30 in it

So, I've been twice to RSA since 2014. Two outfitters and two RSA taxidermist. Went with RSA taxidermist since I convinced myself that clearing and dealing with "completed" taxidermy would be a lot less logistics, and less decisions for me to have to make. (Maybe I was being a
little lazy.)
So to the experts on this thread:
I have 4 shoulder mounts in the living room and 4 euro mounts in the garage. The horn appearances range from black & cracked to shiny & fresh. Yes, I've compared the appearance to the photos I have of the animals fresh on the ground. I contacted the taxidermist about the set that are black and cracked - response was they all look like that for that species (wildebeest).
I have 3 sets of Whitetail antlers which were done with a little Clorox and a brush and are 30+ years old. They all look better than the African horns.
So I am a little disappointed in the horn appearance.
But the question is, would the degradation occur if I had them just "dip & packed" in Africa ?
Or does the boiling process, occur for dip & pack and finished taxidermy in Africa?
(
I have read on AH that it is this boiling process that does the damage vs the beetle process to the horns.)
Thanks

IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

Last edited:
So, I've been twice to RSA since 2014. Two outfitters and two RSA taxidermist. Went with RSA taxidermist since I convinced myself that clearing and dealing with "completed" taxidermy would be a lot less logistics, and less decisions for me to have to make. (Maybe I was being a
little lazy.)
So to the experts on this thread:
I have 4 shoulder mounts in the living room and 4 euro mounts in the garage. The horn appearances range from black & cracked to shiny & fresh. Yes, I've compared the appearance to the photos I have of the animals fresh on the ground. I contacted the taxidermist about the set that are black and cracked - response was they all look like that for that species (wildebeest).
I have 3 sets of Whitetail antlers which were done with a little Clorox and a brush and are 30+ years old. They all look better than the African horns.
So I am a little disappointed in the horn appearance.
But the question is, would the degradation occur if I had them just "dip & packed" in Africa ?
Or does the boiling process, occur for dip & pack and finished taxidermy in Africa?
(
I have read on AH that it is this boiling process that does the damage vs the beetle process to the horns.)
Thanks

View attachment 173922 View attachment 173923 View attachment 173924 View attachment 173925
Who was the taxidermist if you don't mind me asking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg