Can you hunt raccoons with walkers and coonhounds during daytime?

I used to hunt them with my grandfather at night using walkers, or trap for them.

My grandfather used to say to avoid the ones awake in the daytime because it’s a sign of rabies. Not that they all have it (everything, even raccoons get up occasionally during their sleeping hours).

Like @Ike85123 pointed out, they are nocturnal and are typically asleep in trees during the day.

In some states, they are illegal to hunt during daylight.

My buddy killed eight this year and seven last year in his back yard raiding the bird feeders, all of them in the wee hours of the night. They are primarily nighttime bandits.

I grew up coon hunting and best to hunt them at night but yes you can tree them during the day. I have seen them out often during the mornings and late afternoon. Dog has a cold nose he could easy run them from the night before

I have only run them at night. I have run them on tracks started before light and caught during light, but other than trainer coons, I have only went at night.

Maybe first thing in the morning would work but I think it's a lot easier at night when you can get a real fresh track and have em treed quick. Nice to be able to shine a light to see eyes if there's leaves on trees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg