Can you hunt raccoons with walkers and coonhounds during daytime?

BourbonTrail

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA)
I used to hunt them with my grandfather at night using walkers, or trap for them.

My grandfather used to say to avoid the ones awake in the daytime because it’s a sign of rabies. Not that they all have it (everything, even raccoons get up occasionally during their sleeping hours).

Like @Ike85123 pointed out, they are nocturnal and are typically asleep in trees during the day.

In some states, they are illegal to hunt during daylight.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
My buddy killed eight this year and seven last year in his back yard raiding the bird feeders, all of them in the wee hours of the night. They are primarily nighttime bandits.

Hunter101

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF,MDF
Hunted
Nambia, South africa, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Pennsylvania, British Columbia, KY,IL, Oklahoma
I grew up coon hunting and best to hunt them at night but yes you can tree them during the day. I have seen them out often during the mornings and late afternoon. Dog has a cold nose he could easy run them from the night before

npm352

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I have only run them at night. I have run them on tracks started before light and caught during light, but other than trainer coons, I have only went at night.

R.M.C.

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S. and Canada
Maybe first thing in the morning would work but I think it's a lot easier at night when you can get a real fresh track and have em treed quick. Nice to be able to shine a light to see eyes if there's leaves on trees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraDura

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?
tarbe wrote on PatrickMa Ward's profile.
Aha....I see you have a new Avatar!!

Nice bull!
flatwater bill wrote on KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
I hope your hunting season has started off well. I am coming to Namibia for the 7th time in late April of 2022. I am bringing two friends who have never hunted outside of the USA. I have several questions, but before I write them all, I will wait to see if you receive this. Please give a shout................................best regards.........................Bill...............Idaho, USA