CAL 475 No.2

Jan M

New member
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi
I got a double rifle marked CAL 475 No.2
I got hold of RCBS dies that are marked .475 No.2 Jeffery
Bullet slugged in rifle suggests a .483 in barrel.
Case sized with die will not hold bullet (case neck still to big) suggesting a .488 neck.
Did a bit of web surfing and found articles on the .475 No.2 confusing and contradicting.
Some say .475 No.2 NE are also known as .475 No.2 Jeffery and are the same cartridge
Some say they can be fired in same rifle.
Some states they are not the same but differ in Bullet diameter, .483 for the .475 No.2 NE and .488 for the .475 No.2 NE Jeffery and should not be fired in same rifle?
Do RCBS 475 No.2 dies have different neck sizes (.483 and .488)? How do I differentiate? And how do I order such dies?
Regards
Jan
 
the .475 no2 and the .475 no2 jeffery used the same case just with different loadings. the standard used a 480grn bullet with 80 or 85 grains of cordite. the jeffery used a 500grn bullet but with 3 different cordite loads of, 75, 80 and 85grns. they were all interchangeable but as each double rifle is regulated for a specific load they would only be accurate in the rifle set up for the specific load. there were bullet variations but apparently the most common was 0.489 inch in diameter.cant help with the rest .:) p.s. and welcome to AH.
forgot to say there is also a .475 3 1/4inch nitro express which is totally different. this could be the one causing you confusion as its bullets varied between .474 and .483 inches. it was a straight rimmed case , as opposed to the no2 which has a slight neck to it.
 
also go onto www.kynochammunition.co.uk .you will find a chart of the ammunition they load, and if you click on the picture of the bullet it gives you info on it. with the pics you can see the differences betwen the 475, and the .475 no2.
 
RCBS's special order catalog (2010) version offers the 475 no.2 NE die set. I would imagine they still offer it. Hope that helps.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,415
Messages
1,575,565
Members
170,359
Latest member
SFVDelila
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top