Browning A Bolt bolt

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I was cleaning my A Bolt today and removed the bolt without pulling the trigger first. After cleaning, I attempted to install the bolt and it wouldn’t go in because it was cocked. With no owner’s manual available (I bought it used) and after messing with it for thirty minutes, I saw a hole on the bottom rear of the bolt. I put a rod in it and moved it to the right and that decocked it and was able to install the bolt. Just FYI for any idiots like me out there.

4B6BB6F6-2484-46AF-8DE2-F177405853BA.jpeg
46A98D33-0197-4637-A99C-67B864A380FB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My nephew had one of those rifles and after the first shot at a elk he stood there with the bolt in his right hand and the rifle in his left.

We never did figure out how it happened but he was able to slide the bolt right back in

If the spring on the bolt stop/release is weak, I could see that happening when moving the bolt to re cycle another cartridge. I've never had any problem with mine, but I know of one other person with an A Bolt that had the weak spring issue with the bolt stop. A gunsmith put a new spring in and then no problems.

He sold the rifle after the hunt and bought a Ruger 77

That is not an uncommon A-bolt issue. In the field one can also use the tip of a bullet to accomplish the same maneuver. That will goober up the bullet tip pretty good, but solves the jam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross