Bringing rifle w/o assistance

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I will be traveling from US to Johannesburg with 1 rifle for a hunt in Limpopo. Who has done this WITHOUT the help of Rifle Permits or Africa Sky? How was the process and how long did it take? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the additional expense.

It is an inexpensive addition to the hunt. I see it as the cost of a hunt if you want to bring your own rifle. When you arrive, you’ll be very tired and in a new place. You will be very glad you had the extra help.
Maybe a better question is: does anyone regret paying the cost to get help with rifle permits? I suspect you won’t find anyone who regrets the service provided.

I‘ve done it myself and it was no biggie. That said, I was the last one out of the SAP room. I‘ve used services multiple times and it is much better. So much better, I would say penny wise and pound foolish not to. The last two trips over, my guy did all the paperwork and inspection and all the SAP did was sign off on everything he filled out.

I will be traveling from US to Johannesburg with 1 rifle for a hunt in Limpopo. Who has done this WITHOUT the help of Rifle Permits or Africa Sky? How was the process and how long did it take? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the additional expense.
It’s not difficult but if pressed for time use RiflePermits.com. I have done it both ways When folks with pre approved permits come into the SAPs office they will get waited on first. Then The SAP officer will start randomly identifying gun cases and start the process with that owner. Trust me when I tell you they do not try to speed up. Two speeds in that office…..Slow and Stop. I have been in there for over an hour And out in ten minutes.

And pay the modest fee to have a guy. Last time I went, there were about 1000 people at immigration waiting to have their passports checked and stamped. Guy grabbed our stuff, walked us past everyone, straight to immigration and we were done in no time.

It does not cost much to be a VIP in Africa. May as well enjoy living that life for a while.

I did it in 2022, my “case” was lost for around 2 hours and didn’t really seam important until my PH showed up and started ruffling feathers, also if you use a service they cut you to the front of the line it felt like, my next trip in 2025 I’m paying for a service 100%

I have done it twice on my own. Both times were slow but not a hassle. Have used rifle permits ever since. a cheap investment in my opinion. The one time the Police Office said they couln't find my gun case even though I had walked past it in the terminal. After a very pointed comment from the Rifle Permits gentlemen my case appeared in 5 mins and i was gone in another 5. And no premium coffe tips?

As others have said. If this is your first trip, use a service. I am on my 6th trip and use Riflepermits with the VIP meet service. Well worth the extra minimal cost on the safari. No hassle from others in airport. Speed thru customs and SAPS. My case did not show up on one trip, VIP meet guy went and found it, brought pics of case on his phone to us. Then told SAPS where it was. Without him and Riflepermits it would have been all on me to figure out.

Use the service and get their VIP service. Well worth the cost in the agrivation that it will save.

I've done it twice and if I go again I'll do it a third time.

My PH handles the paperwork on his side for me before I arrive. I’ve done it in the past and didn’t have a problem though.

I have done both. It really depends on what time your flight arrives and layover time. The customs and immigration line can be vary long. About six years ago it over 2 hours, fortunately, I was overnighting in Johannesburg, tight connection I would’ve been screwed.

Last year I arrived on Qatar first flight in, business class walked right up to immigration and customs, I was through in under five minutes, Went to the SAPS office the prepaid people all got theirs done and out in five minutes. Mine took a long time as the SAPS computer was down and they had to hand write out my permit, fortunately I had a layover.

Another vote for using a pre-approved permitting agency.

I’ve done it before and it turned out just fine, but having someone there who knows how to get things done can be very valuable.

It’s really not the place to save a dollar.

What are the typical fee for having a 3rd party facilitating?

Twice, no stress and took 15-20 mins. Just fill inn the form following the instructions, have copies of all required documents, relax and Bob' s your uncle.

I think it’s about $100,
I hired a rifle but if I were taking one I would pay for help.

I was quoted $160. Then I called Lufthansa to inform them I was bringing a rifle in my “suitcase” actually a small Peli but I disassemble the rifle. I was greeted with the news that the airline would facilitate me for €250 each way ! Having got a great deal on a flight ticket the cost of getting my own rifle there was more than my ticket ! €250+€250+$160 !
So I am renting one sadly. I have been assured they are good quality rifles but to me it’s the personal satisfaction of using my own rifle that I am familiar with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you