Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I have been looking at the US Customs web site but I was wondering just what kind of trinkets or items that you can bring back to the US without a hassle. I have read where some have problems with one thing that is purchased in a store but if you purchase the same thing in a SA airport they have problems.

I am trying to make my first trip to SA as painless as possible but know that if I don't bring home some things for others that once I get home I'll be in the doghouse for quite a while.

So do any of you have any suggestions on what I can look at while over there to purchase for a carefree trip through US Customs? Nothing really expensive but items that show that I was there and not just dreaming. I know that once I get my trophies back home it will finally be a reality but that is at least 18 months into the future. I'll be passing through Johannesburg at the airport but will be spending at least one night in Port Elizabeth.

Well, I'm sure your wife would appreciate it if you brought home some diamonds.:rolleyes: There's a lovely jewelers in the airport shopping area, and I'm sure it would go a long, LONG way to getting you back for your second trip to SA;):whistle:
Seriously, I have no suggestions as to what to bring back, but a few suggestions as to what NOT to bring back: Anything that is made of animal products (esp. ostrich eggs), and DVDs (different format from ours here in the states). They had springbok and zebra skins for sale in the duty free area......I was wondering if someone bought one of those, if they would be subject to seizure because of lack of permits, health certificates, or whatever else the USDA/customs/homeland security folks want to tack on. I know that ostrich eggs were banned because of a fear of some avian flu strain that was found in S.A.
Our outfitter had his own gift shop with some small stuff (wooden bowls, necklaces & bracelets, hand carved ink pens, etc). I guess a lot depends on who you're bringing it home for........I brought home some different candies/chips that I hadn't seen before, as well as a bottle of Amarula (which the dick at the TSA tried to confiscate; I ran it back and put it in my checked baggage......frickin' jerk). If you do buy any liquid refreshments, I would suggest that you (and I can't stress this enough).....IN PLAIN VIEW OF A TSA AGENT, AFTER ASKING PERMISSION:rolleyes:....place it in your checked luggage after you arrive in Atlanta (or where ever).
There are lots of little shops in the concourse at Tambo after you check in......you should be able to find something for everyone. Sorry I can't be of more help with specifics.

i bought some animal skins and kudu horns, etc from the place that did my dip and pack. they plan to put them in my d/p shipment.

Your Outfitter/PH will know where to go buy trinkets, wildlife or other carvings, baskets, masks, weavings, art, etc etc etc.
Avoid CITES critter parts Elephant hair, etc.

Anywhere there will be a confluence of tourists there will be a market beside the road.

Search this term south african street markets carvings in Google and then look at "images"
You will see the selection of items available.

Avoid
untreated/unfinished wood. Here are the rules for the US.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...vMTQyNjM1NTk0NS9zaWQvdkpvWFRpaG0=/suggested/1

Be prepared with a way to determine its value. Receipt.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...vMTQyNjM1NTk0NS9zaWQvdkpvWFRpaG0=/suggested/1

That is the kind of information that I was looking for.

I would hate to hit customs and then find out that half the items that I purchased couldn't be brought back to the good old US.

We brought back wood carvings/painting/elephant hair bracelets(wore them)/ other jewelry/a bottle of Red Heart rum(highly recommend)/bottle of wine (my daughter)/t-shirts/sweat shirts/shot, drink and beer glasses/porcupine quills(wrapped and taped in cardboard)/Post cards/refrig magnets/Rand. We left some jeans/shoes/Wallmart slippers/socks/shirts/toothpaste/soap/shampoo/left over ammo
(I did not say that)/fish scale used to weight the bags and misc other items there for the staff to make room/weight for the bring home stuff. Do not take your favorite clothes or most expensive so you can leave them to make room bring home stuff. Also do not take expensive tennis shoes so you can leave them also. You can wear your hunting boots home if need be.

Only problem we had was the TSA agent who inspected our bags once home stole my Rad and Bushnell Backtracker GPS from my bag. I filed a complaint but nothing was ever done. Hope that gal gets hit by a truck and breaks her arm.

Next time(I hope to return) I will see what I need to do to bring home 2-3 bottles of Red Heart Rum. Cannot buy it here and it is good.

We spent several days before the hunt in Cape Town sight seeing. Then went to PE for our hunt.

One thing that I would do is take even more photos during the hunt. Not just taken animals but everything else. I took a little over 1700 photos. I would take more with my digital cameras and this time use my video camera which I failed to do the 1st time. Extra cards for the camera are cheap and you can always delete photos. But it is hard to take any once you are home! Take a pocket and a digital SLR with you if you can. It will be worth it.

Our rifle cases were Alum and had 2 pieces of foam for each half. I removed one on each half to put folded pants/shirts/t-shirts(camo and other) etc in place of the one foam.

Remember items you can easily(and not costly) replace at home are best left there to make room for items you cannot get at home.

Oh, almost forgot...........don't bring home any biltong, even if it's processed and packaged. Enjoy it there, and tell everyone back home what they've missed.

Brickburn;
Thanks for the links.:A Thumbs Up:

When you obtain your US re-entry form, place a dollar amount and write in what you purchased.

When customs ask you where you have been and what you purchased. Tell them you were on a safari and purchased a few items as gifts. The marks that the customs agent puts on your form will determine where you will go next. He or she will ask you how much you spent on gifts, so if there is more that one of you, the person handing the form to the customs agent need to be the one who answers the question. (not like my wife who sometimes needed to stay quiet) What you answer need to match what you have written. So if you have a Rifle you will go through that process and then you will go though the Customs Duty process.

If your purchases are over the Dollar amount allowed, you will be taken to a separate room to go over your purchases and the receipts to figure the duty tax amount that owe. This could take a while, so be calm and have all your sales slips available to show the customs agent. Again, one person showing and talking is quickest. (might i add, duct tape could be useful here)

Stay away from, plant seeds, flowers, medicines (drugs), food products, (bilt-ong), Ivory, Elephant products, animal hides and ostrich eggs, weather from the street markets or at the airport.

Your Outfitter/PH will know where to go buy trinkets, wildlife or other carvings, baskets, masks, weavings, art, etc etc etc.
Avoid CITES critter parts Elephant hair, etc.

Anywhere there will be a confluence of tourists there will be a market beside the road.

Search this term south african street markets carvings in Google and then look at "images"
You will see the selection of items available.

Avoid
untreated/unfinished wood. Here are the rules for the US.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1166/kw/confiscated items/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNjM1NTk0NS9zaWQvdkpvWFRpaG0=/suggested/1

Be prepared with a way to determine its value. Receipt.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1257/kw/confiscated items/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNjM1NTk0NS9zaWQvdkpvWFRpaG0=/suggested/1

Brickburn,
Correct me if I'm wrong but you're Canadian right? This is going a bit off topic but I was surprised by an awnser I got upon emailing CITES Canada, I have this in writing (email) so I would guess its legit, but apparently if you are brining back non CITES or CITES II or III animal parts as souvenirs in your personal luggage no permits are required to get them into Canada. However if you are having it shipped the CITES animals have to have permits but the non CITES animals don't- they do however need to be clean and properly treated to ensure that there are no bacteria or potential for diseases to enter the country. Are you aware of this and do you know if it is true or? Just seems odd to me they would have rules like these in place.

Brickburn,
Correct me if I'm wrong but you're Canadian right? This is going a bit off topic but I was surprised by an awnser I got upon emailing CITES Canada, I have this in writing (email) so I would guess its legit, but apparently if you are brining back non CITES or CITES II or III animal parts as souvenirs in your personal luggage no permits are required to get them into Canada. ...............

I am Canadian.

CITES controls are all about import export control. Permits are required to move these controlled animals across borders of treaty member countries.
A change in the manner of arrival changing permit requirements makes zero sense.
Email or not I'd sure like to see what is being referenced in this discussion.

If they are referring to a Canadian CITES PERMIT, that would make sense.
Only CITES I require the Canadian CITES import permit.
Non CITES trophies, obviously no permits required.
CITES II, III Only an export permit is required from the source country.

I'd love to see a copy of this email. PM if you don't mind.

I have done a lot (as in a whole lot) of international traveling, always bring things back (to include art, scotch, jewelry - and even swords and even a battle axe in checked luggage). That includes arriving directly or indirectly from every country in the Middle East except Iran. In all those forty years, I have yet to be inspected, much less have anything seized. I always stay under the party's combined total. I list single expensive items separately - say a bracelet - and the rest of the stuff is listed as total value under "souvenirs". I maintain receipts just in case. They really aren't looking for you. Customs has a big job trying to stop real smugglers - particularly drug mules. And yes, they do, very quietly, profile. I am pretty confident most of us won't fit the profile.

I screwed up a while entering the US with a firearm once. Same exact gun, different serial number. (little sleepy that day)
Customs was not impressed. I was allowed to take it back into Canada with the usual warning: "You could be charged with....."
Slight delay that day.
Literally, for the next five years I paid for that mistake at every border crossing land or air. Officers out to check serial numbers with the attendant delay.
Now, I am back to being waved through after showing them the proper paperwork.
After five years of training they think I have passed the number recognition class they provided. :)

I appreciate the "Idiot" Profile being removed.

I am Canadian.

CITES controls are all about import export control. Permits are required to move these controlled animals across borders of treaty member countries.
A change in the manner of arrival changing permit requirements makes zero sense.
Email or not I'd sure like to see what is being referenced in this discussion.

If they are referring to a Canadian CITES PERMIT, that would make sense.
Only CITES I require the Canadian CITES import permit.
Non CITES trophies, obviously no permits required.
CITES II, III Only an export permit is required from the source country.

I'd love to see a copy of this email. PM if you don't mind.

Brickburn,
I pmed you a scree shoot of that email and also a copy of the link and quote that I have posted here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-7-1-eng.html

Tourist Souvenirs

23. A CITES export permit (from the country visited) is not required for residents of Canada returning from a trip outside the country with souvenirs of CITES Appendix II
or III species, if imported in their accompanying baggage or as part of their clothing or accessories. However, tourists are still advised to check with the CITES authority of the exporting country, which may have its own requirements with respect to what wild animals and plants may or may not be taken out of the country by tourists.

Note: Live animals, live plants, Appendix I species and other species requiring an import permit (Schedule II of WAPTR) still require all appropriate CITES or import permits

I pmed you a scree shoot of that email and also a copy of the link and quote that I have posted here:................

Got it.
I have to look at this and see what they are trying to refer to. What is a Souvenir in their minds?

I'm accessorizing my house with Mountain Zebra rugs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.