BOWHUNTING Moose

Has anybody done a float trip in alaska for moose? With bow only
 
Has anybody done a float trip in alaska for moose? With bow only
I have researched it a bit and I have known a couple few friends here in AK who did it. Personally never done it, just never added up for me. I'm going to sound a bit pessimistic, but just trying to be honest, it can be tough. Rivers are roads here, especially in hunting season. A good friend did it in '17 up north of Fairbanks on a river he could put in and out of via the road. Well, he was a day or two later than everyone else and saw a lot of gut piles. He said he'd do it again, but he'd be the first in the water. Also, more than one guide I've chatted with has mentioned the moose are more away from the rivers, which typically get a lot of pressure and up the side drainages, just above the treeline. I've seen that too. But getting a moose out of there is tough. But patience and perseverence has paid off for others I've known.
Here's a couple good references I have. Each has decent information.

IMG_20181226_060443.jpeg
 
I have researched it a bit and I have known a couple few friends here in AK who did it. Personally never done it, just never added up for me. I'm going to sound a bit pessimistic, but just trying to be honest, it can be tough. Rivers are roads here, especially in hunting season. A good friend did it in '17 up north of Fairbanks on a river he could put in and out of via the road. Well, he was a day or two later than everyone else and saw a lot of gut piles. He said he'd do it again, but he'd be the first in the water. Also, more than one guide I've chatted with has mentioned the moose are more away from the rivers, which typically get a lot of pressure and up the side drainages, just above the treeline. I've seen that too. But getting a moose out of there is tough. But patience and perseverence has paid off for others I've known.
Here's a couple good references I have. Each has decent information.

View attachment 260868
Thanks Ryan, will look into those books. Im looking for a tough and and a remote river. Just looking for the right place to float with.
 
Thanks Ryan, will look into those books. Im looking for a tough and and a remote river. Just looking for the right place to float with.
That is the million dollar question. The Strahan book has a whole section on specific rivers, which is a big plus, along with river you shouldn't use, also a plus. That said Strahan apparently has or had a hunting consulting business concerning such questions. Pay extra, get up to date info from someone who put their time in on the rivers or in a plane, fair enough. But I spoke with a guy at my archery club a couple years back who told me about it and his dissatisfaction. He'd paid for the consulting but got no info on rivers just a list of flying outfitters who he knew who could do the flying. We both agreed findingvflying companies wasn't the info we needed in this day and age. Only one guys experience, so take it for that.
Good luck.
 
Thanks for the info! You killed a beast of a bushpig. Who did you get that with?
 
Nice Moose.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,571,100
Members
169,106
Latest member
VernaP4357
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top