Boer or Brit?

What caliber to choose?

  • .303 British

    Votes: 23 32.4%
  • 7x57 Mauser

    Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Take your .450/400 3" or you will die!

    Votes: 8 11.3%

  • Total voters
    71
I voted .303 since I own a few SMLEs, never owned a 7x57 (embarrassing)! Currently the only #1 I still own is a SS tropical in .45-70.
 
Yesterday was range day for both of the Ruger No 1.
I checked the 7x57 175 gr Hornady SPRN and the .303 British 215 gr Woodleigh SPRN load.
7x57 shot pretty good.
Than I had three shot with the .303 Britisch 215 gr Woodleigh.....
20240207_162902.jpg

HWL
 
@
Yesterday was range day for both of the Ruger No 1.
I checked the 7x57 175 gr Hornady SPRN and the .303 British 215 gr Woodleigh SPRN load.
7x57 shot pretty good.
Than I had three shot with the .303 Britisch 215 gr Woodleigh.....
View attachment 585859
HWL
HWL
So how did the 303 shoot.
Bob
 
I have done a lot of hunting with a custom Ruger No.1 in 7x57 near Thabazimbi on a family farm. The bush is thick so no need for high magnification scopes. View attachment 578953

If I could choose one place to spend the rest of my days it would be there. There is something special about the dry river bed snaking between the giant monkey thorn trees with kudu picking up seed pods in between.

Agreed on the glass. I like either of OP's rifles, but 5X on the low end is overmuch, I think, for 50 - 150 yard shooting in thick brush.

I finally ditched a nice 4-12x42 I had on my 6.5x55 for deer hunting. Very few of the deer we shoot are any further than about 60 or 70 yards, and they can be hard to pick up in the thick timber and undergrowth even at just 4X.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,318
Messages
1,572,845
Members
169,627
Latest member
TiaDreher3
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top