Body Shots On Elephant (Does Caliber Really Matter?)

Flint

AH member
Reaction score
And for the hunter in us.
A strong bullet must transverse the vitals.
With a bullet through the heart or lungs we can guarantee ethical hunting with clean conscience.
As opposed to. Can anyone imagine slaughtering ANY wild game from a hide 30 metres from a field drinking- or feeding trough?
Quite akin to poisoning children's food. And outfitters supporting it. And game ranch owners offering it.

All for money.
Heavens alive.

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
As opposed to. Can anyone imagine slaughtering ANY wild game from a hide 30 metres from a field drinking- or feeding trough?
Quite akin to poisoning children's food. And outfitters supporting it. And game ranch owners offering it.

All for money.
Heavens alive.

The above comments have nothing to do with elephant hunts. I have never seen an elephant hunt being offered at a game ranch. Also, elephants are hunted by foot and tracking not from a blind.

Plainsman

AH member
Reaction score
I don't know that I have sufficient experience to hold a strong opinion, but my personal view is you should take the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, and use the heaviest quality solids available. I wouldn't use a Barnes TSX; if I were taking Barnes bullets, I'd use their banded solids.

My elephant no. 1 was a head-on shot with a 458 Lott/500 grain federal sledgehammer solid. I thought I'd brained it, but in fact had only stunned it. It staggered as if it was going to fall, but then started to run at a very rapid pace. At that point I was (as I later confessed to my ph) slinging bullets at anything that looked gray. Fortunately, that strategy was successful five shots later, and we didn't lose it. Elephant no. 2 was a tuskless cow that charged us down a narrow trail, so the only shot available was a frontal shot (which happily worked perfectly). Elephant no. 3 was another tuskless cow with a single side brain shot, as its heart/lung area was concealed by brush.

In each case, my personal plan had been to take a heart shot. In all three instances, my plan was irrelevant due to circumstances on the ground. So, I think you need to be ready for any situation that might arise. And to me, being ready means (to be repetitive) to take along as much gun as you can shoot.

I've actually carried my "bigger caliber" advise over even to plains game hunting. Not that a .30 bullet isn't perfectly adequate for plains game, but the last time I left the heavy artillery at home thinking there was no dangerous game in the area, we got chased by a rhino. And while we were skittering away, I was thinking constantly that a .308 was just going to piss it off, if it came down to an Alamo-style last stand. And on an earlier occasion I was sitting in a leopard blind when a baby elephant started sniffing around the blind, panicked when it smelled us, and its mother came round to see what was going on. Nothing dramatic happened there but, again, I was sweating like a fountain and looking at my puny rifle, realizing it wouldn't do much good if mama elephant decided to disassemble our blind (and us). So now, my usual plains game rifle is a .416 --- or Ruger No. 1 .450/400 when I'm shooting iron sights.

Plainsman

AH member
Reaction score
The above comments have nothing to do with elephant hunts. I have never seen an elephant hunt being offered at a game ranch. Also, elephants are hunted by foot and tracking not from a blind.
Yup. As far as I know, there ain't no such thing as high-fence elephants!

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
I wouldn't say that! But that Heym sure is mighty pretty to be dragging through the thorns. My synthetic stocked 416 would make much more sense! :A Stirring:
the elephant wants pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daktari’s-Mfalme

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg
TROPHY SHIPPERS - You Enjoy Your Hunt, We'll Get Your Trophies Home

hunting-trophy-shipper.jpg