Bit by the “Wildcatter” bug!

@wyatt Smith.
Well think outside the box. Some I have dreamed up on the 303 case t that I know haven't been done before as the mods are to my specifications.
All have a .257 neck whether 25 cal or 35 cal. All have min body taper and 35 degree shoulder to give max powder capacity and best burn character while maintaining an easy to feed and chamber cartridge.
Bob :E Hmmm: :E Huh::A Whacky::D Beer Bottle:
View attachment 368535
All case capacity ous 60+ grains of powder with bullet seated 1 caliber or less.
Bob

We need to do a .375/303 bob we can call it the .375 sabrelope.

Yeah I know, “what’s the point”? Well, there really isn’t any? I guess I’ve just become intrigued by the many “wildcatted” cartridges over the years after reading many articles and pouring through my Hornady reloading manual. In the past, it appears as though many of these wildcatted cartridges were derived to fill a void of absent available cartridges in various calibers, AND to produce a cartridge from existing brass which could provide an inexpensive way to go up or down in caliber to meet a specific need. Recently, I purchased Redding dies in .416 Taylor and have been creating that cartridge from my numerous.458 WM brass. NOW, I have been contemplating a .375-.338 Win Mag or .375 Taylor cartridge from my numerous.338 WM brass. I believe these two cartridges are almost identical, but if anyone has any information to the contrary, I would appreciate any input. Redding can make dies for either. Quality Cartridge has head stamped brass for both. A rifle chambered for any of the .458 length family of cartridges (.264WM, 7mm RM, .300 WM, .338 WM, etc) would work with a rebore or barrel in .375. Again, WHY?. Don’t really know, except it will give me something to do during these cold Colorado winters when there’s nothing to hunt and open Pandora’s box to criticism from the many here on AH who think I’m crazy. Ha! Ha! Thanks!
Have you tried wild cating 348 winchester. That will keep you busy for a long time.
35-348, 375-348, 416-348, 458-348, 50 alaskan.
All lever action wild cats. I have info if you need them.
There was a gun manifactured bu named Jim Busha a aeronautical engineer tried all these under the name of Heavy Express.

Have you tried wild cating 348 winchester. That will keep you busy for a long time.
There was a gun manifactured bu named Jim Busha a aeronautical engineer tried all these under the name of Heavy Express.
There is also 50-110 can be built on 348 modern actions. They supposedly operate about 50k psi.
Giving more than 6000ft/lbs. There is gunsmith in Missori who can build that for you on 348 (modern)
Action.

Here is a view
20200920_181418.jpg

Very intriguing base cartridge for lever action wildcats. So are the HEs you’ve included. I also find the RUM cartridge family intriguing. But, I think I’ll stay with the .458 WM family of cartridges for a future wildcat if I decide to have one built on a bolt action. I have the .458 and .338 WM brass already, so if I go with a .375-.338 it would be a simple process to form that brass. And I’m already forming the .416 Taylor cases from the .458 brass and could also from the .338 brass. So many great wildcats out there, but limited time and funds to switch now?

@wyatt Smith.
Well think outside the box. Some I have dreamed up on the 303 case t that I know haven't been done before as the mods are to my specifications.
All have a .257 neck whether 25 cal or 35 cal. All have min body taper and 35 degree shoulder to give max powder capacity and best burn character while maintaining an easy to feed and chamber cartridge.
View attachment 368535
All case capacity ous 60+ grains of powder with bullet seated 1 caliber or less.
Bob
Very efficient and simple caliber switch using the same cases!

Very intriguing base cartridge for lever action wildcats. So are the HEs you’ve included. I also find the RUM cartridge family intriguing. But, I think I’ll stay with the .458 WM family of cartridges for a future wildcat if I decide to have one built on a bolt action. I have the .458 and .338 WM brass already, so if I go with a .375-.338 it would be a simple process to form that brass. And I’m already forming the .416 Taylor cases from the .458 brass and could also from the .338 brass. So many great wildcats out there, but limited time and funds to switch now?

All the HE CARTRIDGES are standard 30-06 length bolt action. The rim of the 348 is trimmed to .532 and made rimless which easily fits ruger 77 mark ii actions. They can also be rimed for lever actions.

@wyatt Smith.
View attachment 368535
Bob
If that bolt head doesn’t fix my No.4 Bob, the rifle will get a 25-303 barrel screwed onto it.

All the HE CARTRIDGES are standard 30-06 length bolt action. The rim of the 348 is trimmed to .532 and made rimless which easily fits ruger 77 mark ii actions. They can also be rimed for lever actions.
How does one trim the rim of a brass case? Sounds very time consuming?

If that bolt head doesn’t fix my No.4 Bob, the rifle will get a 25-303 barrel screwed onto it.
@Wyatt Smith
I have an almost brand new 25/303 barrel already threaded and chambered for a No4 SMLE with a 1 in 12twist suitable for up to 100 grains if you like. I'll do you a great deal on it.
20200921_150153.jpg

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross