Best Shellfish?

I prefer my shellfish from cold waters, the region of Galicia in NW Spain has great lobster, crab, clam, you name it ! Ireland also has very good shellfish.

An exception is a type of prawn which is only found in southern Spain, on the Atlantic coast, which is just delicious.
 
Maine Lobster for me!
 
I’m not sure I have ever tried a shellfish other than shrimp. Perhaps it’s due to my proximity to the sea, I’m in rural Illinois, or maybe I just need to get out more.
Fresh seafood is hard to find. I would have to drive at least an hour, probably two, to find seafood that has not been dead for a couple days.
Also, neither of my parents like seafood, so I was never exposed to it. I’ll try it sometime just not sure when.
You’ve got an open invite up here any time Wyatt I’ll put you up and introduce you to the world of shellfish.
 
You’ve got an open invite up here any time Wyatt I’ll put you up and introduce you to the world of shellfish.

I’m coming back in October. Let’s grab a schooner.
 
You’ve got an open invite up here any time Wyatt I’ll put you up and introduce you to the world of shellfish.
That’s awful kind. If I’m ever up that way (not too unlikely, grandpa’s siblings are scattered across Canada) I’ll sure look you up.
If you ever happen to be down here I’ll cook us a beef tenderloin, although I’m sure you know all about those.
 
Forgot about the humble choice of a good clam chowder!
 
I’m coming back in October. Let’s grab a schooner.
I’m sure something can be arranged, I probably could scare up a few birds if your still looking for a big pheasant.
 
Born in Thibodaux and grew up in Lake Charles. Spent my life on 14 ft flat bottoms until I went off to the army (to my dermatologist's delight).

Back in the early eighties when I was a starving captain, my new bride and I would take the boat and two huge igloo ice chests into the Rockefeller Reserve and fill one with blue crabs twice the size of anything ever shipped to Maryland and the other with specks and reds. We would keep a dozen or two crabs for ourselves and half a dozen specks. The remainder went to the seafood dealer. We were flush for a couple of weeks.

But stone crab claws...................
@RedLeg, the seafood catches for you and your wife, a King's meal.
 
Yes, Louisiana Crawfish, well purged in clear running water (not called "mudbugs" for nothing). clean them up, then Zartarians Crab Boil, or Old Bay, some whole lemon, fresh garlic cloves, small red potatoes, salt.
I find this discussion fascinating, as just a Cajun from Louisiana, that gets to cook and has traveled a little bit,

My humble takeaway is that seafood, around the world, has some specialness. Harvested fresh, and prepared properly, really good eating.

Thats when I appreciated mussels from Prince Edward Island, the ancestral home of my relatives from Nova Scotia.
 
Less known, one of the best.
Mediteranean shell fish, often confused with word shrimp, or prawn, Scampi are neither.
They are with hard shell )as opposed to shrimps soft shell= and they are close relative to lobster (lat. Homarus gammarus)

So, the champions of mediteranea cuisine

Scampi
(Nephrops norvegicus), sometimes called norweigan lobster - not to bi mixed with shrimp)

They inhabit Mediterranean waters and eastern Atlantic waters up till Norway and Sweden.
1692087860075.png
 
I find this discussion fascinating, as just a Cajun from Louisiana, that gets to cook and has traveled a little bit,

My humble takeaway is that seafood, around the world, has some specialness. Harvested fresh, and prepared properly, really good eating.

Thats when I appreciated mussels from Prince Edward Island, the ancestral home of my relatives from Nova Scotia.
estu descendant des acadians de l’explosion ? Si oui, est votre nom de famille et d’ou’ Viennent von ancestries?
 
I’m not sure I have ever tried a shellfish other than shrimp. Perhaps it’s due to my proximity to the sea, I’m in rural Illinois, or maybe I just need to get out more.
Fresh seafood is hard to find. I would have to drive at least an hour, probably two, to find seafood that has not been dead for a couple days.
Also, neither of my parents like seafood, so I was never exposed to it. I’ll try it sometime just not sure when.
There walleye a perch for you guys
 
Goose barnacles
 
Interesting shellfish at the fish market in Dar es Salaam. The local fishermen were explaining that the Chinese prize these shellfish. I was more interested is checking out the sea snakes and other crazy ocean creatures in the market.

20220821_124445.jpg
20220821_124625.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My top 4, there are more but these are the ones I would make a special trip for.
  1. Conch and Spiny Lobster in the West Indies for sure #1
  2. Stone Crab in Florida
  3. The plethora of clams and mussels off Ireland and Scotland
  4. Paella I had in Malaga Spain
 
Many years ago, we stayed at the Oyster Bay hotel just north of Dar es Salaam. In those days it was more a collection of shacks. We had a huge plate of prawns and when they came they smelt a little off. We feasted anyway and they were delicious, and no ill effects beyond the normal Dar gut. Best prawns I have ever had.
 
Interesting shellfish at the fish market in Dar es Salaam. The local fishermen were explaining that the Chinese prize these shellfish. I was more interested is checking out the sea snakes and other crazy ocean creatures in the market.
View attachment 551569View attachment 551571
We call those bulldozers here on the gulf coast, taste like spiny lobsters.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,945
Members
169,655
Latest member
NehuSinhi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top