Best beginner brand/reloading kit for big rifle cartridges?

Also if anyone has any load data for the 458 Lott with the 500grn Woodleigh Weldcores please feel free to share.

Woodleigh recommends using any published, pressure tested load data for other comparable bullets. They add the common caveat of reducing load by 5% and working up. The Weldcore bullet is a simple cup and core design that is bonded so is likely to behave, for loading purposes, similarly to any other common cup and core bullet of similar weight.

Supplies to OZ?

I was in contact with a friend of mine in OZ. He could use some scope mounts that I had laying around here in the US. I offered to send them to him. These are fifty year old B&L adjustable bases- nothing about them could be considered a threat. He said that with the present OZ laws it is a violation to send/receive anything related to firearms without appropriate government permits,etc. So I'm wondering, since there is evidently an issue of getting reloading equipment to OZ that is commonplace in the US, Would there be a problem with sending something such as an LE Wilson sizing die and bushings to someone in OZ? If it's illegal, then forget the idea. But if not, LE Wilson is a few miles down the road and I'd be happy to be a go between.
Ray B
It definitely is not illegal to send scopes, mounts or even rifle stocks to Australia.
I do it all the time.
Projectiles and rifle parts need a permit tho.
Bob

Supplies to OZ?

I was in contact with a friend of mine in OZ. He could use some scope mounts that I had laying around here in the US. I offered to send them to him. These are fifty year old B&L adjustable bases- nothing about them could be considered a threat. He said that with the present OZ laws it is a violation to send/receive anything related to firearms without appropriate government permits,etc. So I'm wondering, since there is evidently an issue of getting reloading equipment to OZ that is commonplace in the US, Would there be a problem with sending something such as an LE Wilson sizing die and bushings to someone in OZ? If it's illegal, then forget the idea. But if not, LE Wilson is a few miles down the road and I'd be happy to be a go between.
Yeah Australia is a bit funny with some things when it comes to firearms but I doubt a set of dies would cause any dramas. I must say I am very appreciative of the offer but I'm good I got a full set of dies coming my way. Again though thanks very much!

Woodleigh recommends using any published, pressure tested load data for other comparable bullets. They add the common caveat of reducing load by 5% and working up. The Weldcore bullet is a simple cup and core design that is bonded so is likely to behave, for loading purposes, similarly to any other common cup and core bullet of similar weight.
(y) I just read this one their website. I have seen some load data for the 458 Lott now for both the Woodleighs and Hornady DGX using Alliant RL15 and my local dealer keeps this in stock so I might give this a go for a start. I am interested to see what Woodleigh actually have published in their reloading manual though, I shoud have this manual before the end of the week.

ar2208 (varget) is similar burning rate to re15.
not sure how the ballistics compare, but 2208 is known to be more temp stable.
bruce.

@Aussie_Hunter I don’t see .458 Lott in my Woodleigh book or my Nick Harvey 5th edition
The ADI website has many listed and is a good source.
I had a .458wm I was going to rechamber Lott as I could still download using the .458 ammo
Will PM you

DEA10A70-CE28-4F85-8785-0CD5C0C5A662.jpeg
B880E7CC-886C-4DC4-B8C8-EE271A75CEC1.jpeg

@Aussie_Hunter I don’t see .458 Lott in my Woodleigh book or my Nick Harvey 5th edition
The ADI website has many listed and is a good source.
I had a .458wm I was going to rechamber Lott as I could still download using the .458 ammo
Will PM you

View attachment 333614 View attachment 333615
Sorry mate I just sent you a PM before I saw this. How old is your Woodleigh reloading book? Because mine has 7 different loads listed for the 458 Lott, maybe I have a newer edition? Mine says published in 2014

I dont know. I only bought it a couple of years ago. I might need to look further but expected to find it listed right after. 458wm

For all you re-loaders out there, running average sort of pressures, how many reloads are you getting out of your big bore brass on average?

For all you re-loaders out there, running average sort of pressures, how many reloads are you getting out of your big bore brass on average?
Aussie Hunter
At the moment I've got 6 reloads out of my 35 Whelen running at 51,000 cup to 52,000 cup. These are figures off load from a disc. I'm running a 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700+ fps using a load from the Speer reloading site. This is two to three hundred fps above the factory velocity.
There is no reason not to get a lot more loads out of a case but that's all I've done ate the moment and the cases are still going strong with tight primer pocket.
Cheers Aussie
Bob

@Edster I notice that you use the Inline Fab quick change system. I'm currently building a reloading room/gun room and I think I'm going full Inline Fab for everything. Everyone seems to swear by their stuff and service. Thoughts?

I use a bit of everything after lots of experimentation:
  1. Lyman T-Mag II turret press - game in the original kit I purchased maybe 10 years ago;
  2. Mostly Redding dies but a few RCBS;
  3. Lyman case prep center;
  4. RCBS Chargemaster;
  5. Lee bench mount primer tool; and
  6. Just upgraded to Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Express.

I will say that the Lyman EZEE Case trimmers work well, as does the Lee Case trim kit that uses the caliber specific length gauges and shellholders. Can use them with your cordless drill. But both can be time consuming.

I prefer Imperial Sizing Die Wax to lube cases - haven't stuck one yet with it, and have stuck a few using liquid lubes.

For the OP, folks I know seem to like the Hornady reloading stuff. I love the Hornady LNL Overall Length Gauge and use it frequently, along with their headspace bushing kit and comparator set. I have multiple digital calipers I use, each used for a specific measurement.

@Edster I notice that you use the Inline Fab quick change system. I'm currently building a reloading room/gun room and I think I'm going full Inline Fab for everything. Everyone seems to swear by their stuff and service. Thoughts?.

I have 2 different mounts. The tall at the back bench and mid height at the bench you see. Both have quick change plates. I have 4 different presses and a vise all on plates. A couple of wall hangers keeps presses out of the way when not in use. Both of the single stage presses are set up with the bin hanger/die storage. I also have Dans case kicker on one of the single stage presses. His discharge ramp is ok but mine is one made out of a moldable plastic. Dan Claussen over at InLine makes a great product. I usually wait for a sale to add to my collection. Dan usually runs a few during the year. Next one might be Memorial Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just waiting on my 458 Lott reloading dies now which will be here Monday, I got a Hornady 3 die set. I also just ordered a Hornady wet tumbler, 150 Hornady 300grn DGX bonded projectiles and a set of RCBS 375H&H dies.

I got some reloading to do!

Reloading bench.jpg

Nice . PLS See reply in media section.

Hey all you pro's out there maybe you can help me out?

Hornady 10th edition reloading manual shows a max load of 76.6grns of Alliant RL15 using the 500 grn DGX.
Woodleigh reloading manual shows a starting load of 80grns of Alliant RL15 using their 500grn SNRN

So Woodleighs staring load is 3.4grns above Hornady's max load o_O I understand there is a chance different brass and different primers were used in developing the published reloading data but still having said that it's a little disconcerting to say the least? Since I am using the Woodleigh bullet mentioned above I was going to use the Woodleigh data and start at 5% below their starting load but even that is nearly Hornady's max load. Do you think 5% below Woodleigh's starting load would be ok or to be safe should I just start at Hornadys starting load which is way down at 67.6grns ?

Hey all you pro's out there maybe you can help me out?

Hornady 10th edition reloading manual shows a max load of 76.6grns of Alliant RL15 using the 500 grn DGX.
Woodleigh reloading manual shows a starting load of 80grns of Alliant RL15 using their 500grn SNRN

So Woodleighs staring load is 3.4grns above Hornady's max load o_O I understand there is a chance different brass and different primers were used in developing the published reloading data but still having said that it's a little disconcerting to say the least? Since I am using the Woodleigh bullet mentioned above I was going to use the Woodleigh data and start at 5% below their starting load but even that is nearly Hornady's max load. Do you think 5% below Woodleigh's starting load would be ok or to be safe should I just start at Hornadys starting load which is way down at 67.6grns ?

Caliber?? Poops never mind found it 458 LOTT. Never loaded for it but I’ll share some more reference material. Nothing using RL15 in Alliants manual. Nosler does have some though. If you are using Hornady bullets I would stick with their info. Remember bullet manufacturers use their particular bullet to develop their data. Some tend to be more conservative than others. Looking at Hornady compared to Nosler you can see that Hornady is starting at 1900fps where Nosler is at 2105fps. Personally I would start somewhere mid stream and work up. Look for your best grouping while watching for pressure signs. I just looked at the Nosler data and according to them it looks like the most accurate loads are right in the 2100fps range with all powdered tested. Good luck.

Arrrgh problems uploading pics and went beyond 30 minute time limit on editing. Her eare the pics that should have been attached

View attachment 335774View attachment 335775
Thanks for the info much appreciated! So more published reloading data where the max load is below Woodleighs starting load with the same powder.
I'm going to be using Woodleigh bullets so I would like to use Woodleighs data but all this other data from other reloading manuals suggests their loads are going to be pretty hot.

Thanks for the info much appreciated! So more published reloading data where the max load is below Woodleighs starting load with the same powder.
I'm going to be using Woodleigh bullets so I would like to use Woodleighs data but all this other data from other reloading manuals suggests their loads are going to be pretty hot.

No doubts about that!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg