Bertram Brass Quality?

I think the negative comments come from years ago.
I have 100 x 6.5 Beanmore cases by Bertram Brass in the cupboard for later so I hope they are ok.
 
I'm not sure how big the operation is but I don't think it is all that big.

My mate has been there and was telling me that Bertram Brass did some military contract developmental stuff years ago and in part it's what set Bertram up. The development stuff and the concept was dropped as Defence do and the rest is history.

ADI is an Aussie based company owned by Thales International. ADI make brass and produce bulk ammo for an Australian distributor. Another Australian company NIOA bought it Barrett so there are some connections here for military contracts.

Nightforce set up an approved/templated range on a remote property for military contractors to be able to test equipment on an approved range in Australia without going overseas.
Worth noting ADI here in Australia also make the Hodgdon brand powders sold in the USA .
NIOA from Brisbane are doing very well with their U.S. investments .
 
I've never actually had a problem with them either, in .450 no.2, and .600, going back ages, but I still agree with the muzzleloader thing, if only due to what you get for the insane price. When I looked at and held my first Jamison .450 case, I remember having felt cheated all my life. I've never used Bertram in .500 3", I loaded up on Jamison's for that. Only wish I had done the same for .577, not for NE, but BPE in both that and the .500. I went BPE crazy years ago when age started kicking my arse and I got slower, and those pressures don't stress brass, but if I were Bob, I'd feel the same and they would have heard from me as well. No reason that should have happened if annealed.
I suspect I buy my brass in Australia for less than what people pay overseas . And I have much better availability . Worth noting Bertram also make bullets . I just purchased a few hundred 425WR and 505 Gibbs all RNSN . I’m more than happy to use them . Not as good as Woodleighs but certainly perfectly acceptable to me .
 
If you anneal Bertram Brass before every reload it is perfectly OK.
I have also had some average Winchester & Remington brass.
The base metal is no where as good as Norma, Norma is the best brass I have used.
 
Worth noting ADI here in Australia also make the Hodgdon brand powders sold in the USA .
NIOA from Brisbane are doing very well with their U.S. investments .

Agreed,

If only Woodleigh had the capacity to produce more products they could do a great service to the world of big bore shooters and double rifle enthusiasts.

Unfortunately those family businesses are not big companies.

There are a few people making copper projectiles in Australia.

Outer Edge, Atomic 29 and another named Rexem that I’ve seen on YouTube. Rexem, that’s what it does.

Atomic 29 show great results
 
Including their ownership of Barrett Firearms.

It would be nice to see the Barrett Fieldcraft available in Australia but it was already discontinued. I suspect they are focused on bigger contracts rather than hunting rifle models.
 
If you anneal Bertram Brass before every reload it is perfectly OK.
I have also had some average Winchester & Remington brass.
The base metal is no where as good as Norma, Norma is the best brass I have used.
i just bought my first bartam brass in 450 rigby... guess i need to get some annealing equipment not something i have ever done before.
 
Agreed,

If only Woodleigh had the capacity to produce more products they could do a great service to the world of big bore shooters and double rifle enthusiasts.

Unfortunately those family businesses are not big companies.

There are a few people making copper projectiles in Australia.

Outer Edge, Atomic 29 and another named Rexem that I’ve seen on YouTube. Rexem, that’s what it does.

Atomic 29 show great results
Woodleigh don’t make copper projectiles . The Hydrostats are made by another guy and just marketed by Woodleigh . I recall all the details are in the Woodleigh reloading book .
 
i just bought my first bartam brass in 450 rigby... guess i need to get some annealing equipment not something i have ever done before.
I don’t anneal my brass . Not had any problems to date . But agree after a lot of use it is worthwhile. Annealing not that difficult to do .
 
i just bought my first Berrtam brass in 450 Rigby... guess i need to get some annealing equipment not something i have ever done before.

I just use a cordless driill, with a cheap deep socket set and a propane torch to anneal. I'm no guru, but it seems to work fine and I've had excellent longevity from Bertam brass.

I've never used the Tempilstik Heat Crayons, or the like, that is sometimes recomended.

I've been to the Bertram factory many times and have seen them anneal ing their cases.

As @264 said, the factory is well worth a visit if you're nearby.
 
Co
Woodleigh don’t make copper projectiles . The Hydrostats are made by another guy and just marketed by Woodleigh . I recall all the details are in the Woodleigh reloading book

Correct, the Hydro’s look more like a brass alloy to me.


I listed the 3 I can remember and I think there might be another brand that I don’t remember the name of.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,200
Members
169,508
Latest member
rubberwebshop
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top