Bent Firing Pin in a Heym Double (Common?)

Hunt101

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Heym 88B 375 H&H that I recently sent up to Champlin Arms to have a set of rings fitted. I request the gun be opened up just to inspect the internals prior to taking it to Africa later this year. I was surprised to hear my left firing pin was bent, it shot just fine and I never would have been any the wiser had the gun not been opened up. The pin was straightened and put back, anyone else have this happen before? I was told that it isn't uncommon for Heyms?

Thanks in advance

The only bent pin that I've ever seen was on a non-rebounding lock rifle. The cause was someone that didn't know about the locks and tried to open the rifle. I've heard of other getting the tip actually broken from doing this.
On a boxlock like yours I'd say it was pretty rare.

After digging out my fired brass I can see one barrel is striking the primer approximately .012 off center. Still looks like a pretty solid indention but it is slightly lighter than the barrel producing a dead center strike. To the above comment would you please explain the non-rebounding lock and how the one you saw was able to bent. I should probably already understand that statement but I don't.
Also could a pin that has been straightened become break prone, I don't know what these are made out of or how much bending the pin could weaken the part?

Rebounding and non rebounding has ONLY to do with the hammer guns. Not the box or side locks popular today.
On the non- rebounding locks the hammer stays in full contact with the striker after firing. The hammers need to be pulled back to half cock in order to open the action. Rebounding the hammers relax just off from any contact from the pins. Stanton invented the rebounding locks in the 1880ish era and by 1885 they became the norm as a general rule.

If he just straighten it a smidge I wouldn't worry about it any. Besides, just remember that you've got a double barreled single shot if it happens to fail.
Unlike bolt guns you've got a totally separate gun still in working order. Use it and make sure before you go after big black/brown/grey, fuzzy or skinned critters that could hurt you.

Look thru the GI listings to see the advertised non and rebounding locks.

Hunt

A bent firing pin. Is now weakened. To make it straight it had to be re-bent. I would call that a temporary repair.

What did they have to say about the springs with your firing pins. And Did they clean the firing pin hole?

When springs become weak they will not retract your firing pin fully and some times will leave the firing pin protruding, at that point, you will then notice a scratch or line on your brass.

Have you checked your expended brass to see if the depth of firing pin striking are the same or is there a difference.

If the firing pin does not retract and stays stuck in the primer the pin could bend, however i have seen the tip of the firing pin break off.

If it was only bent .012 it's not going to be weak IMO. You can flex it that much with your fingers.

And since JJ at Champlins did the work it's good to go! He doesn't slide on quality!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!