Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So, more issues...

I want to ask those in the know about the potential downfalls of threading a barrel for part time suppressor use? I can't bring myself to carry a firearm without iron sights, it just goes against my biology (dramaqueen, much?), so I was wondering whether it would be a decent idea to have a barrel threaded and only use the suppressor for the specific occasions where it is needed? I need a suppressor for culling purposes, but the idea of having to buy a new rifle and so on just makes me skin crawl (not such an easy or cheap process in RSA).

I assume I will have to rezero my scope, but are there any other negatives that I should know about?

TIA

My two cents—I have three rifles threaded-one was from the factory—the other two were threaded last year. I hunt with the suppressor. The rifle shoots very close zeroed without and with the suppressor. The group that threaded my two rifles provided an endcap for the threads when the suppressor is off.

The barrel has to come off the rifle in order to thread the barrel so yes u will need to re aero.

You will not know for sure until you have tested with your gun and suppressor combo if you will have any change of zero and how much.
It is very likely that the change will be consistent and you can just make a note of how much to adjust your scope.

my advice for tight groups with supressor. Use a gunsmith who takes the barrel out of action, zeroing the barrel in lathe and makes threads by lathe. Also you have to take material off from barrel so you have a backwall that you can tight your supressor against it. Not just end of threads. Also ask gunsmith to make cover for threads when you using supressor only part time. Never leave threads without cover

Removing the barrel from the action is not required, it has to do with the size of the smiths lathe.
Fully agree with the rest. If a (black)smith suggestes to thread your barrel using a die, pick up your stuff and leave....
Keep the threads clean, lubed and covered.

I have threaded several barrels for suppressors, I have only had to remove the barrel for one........it was very short.

Every rifle I own that shoots suppressed has a different point of impact suppressor on and suppressor off.

As was said before, never, ever, ever, use a die to thread a barrel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeewangarg

Latest profile posts

Houston Bill wrote on Sketchy1973's profile.
Hello,

I am considering selling my Rizzini 470 NE double, if you have interest we should discuss.

Bill
btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video