Barnes bullets in.30-06

Here is a question, how can a monometal bullet that retains 97-100% of its weight be any different in killing and exit wound size than a bonded lead bullet that retains 97-100% of its weight? If they open at the same penetration depth and have similar frontal surface area then shouldn’t those bullets perform similarly? I think if there is any difference then, it’s the “neck length” or penetration depth before the bullet expands. Gel tests would be the only way to objectively measure this.

I don’t know that they would be much different….

But the truth is there are very few options in terms of bullets (of any sort) that reliably retain 97%+ of their weight… if we are talking same/similar performance then it becomes a matter of preference… or a matter of other performance metrics that someone may value more (I.e Barnes are generally more affordable than a-frames… a-frames generally perform better at lower velocities than Barnes can perform at… etc etc…)…

I don’t know that they would be much different….

But the truth is there are very few options in terms of bullets (of any sort) that reliably retain 97%+ of their weight… if we are talking same/similar performance then it becomes a matter of preference… or a matter of other performance metrics that someone may value more (I.e Barnes are generally more affordable than a-frames… a-frames generally perform better at lower velocities than Barnes can perform at… etc etc…)…
That’s my point. Some people on this forum will rave about swift bullet performance and condemn Barnes TTSX. While other will say Barnes are the best etc. generally both retain similar weight %, so how different can they be in terminal ballistics unless the “speed of expansion” is more rapid with swift?

That’s my point. Some people on this forum will rave about swift bullet performance and condemn Barnes TTSX. While other will say Barnes are the best etc. generally both retain similar weight %, so how different can they be in terminal ballistics unless the “speed of expansion” is more rapid with swift?
@112Savage and @mdwest
I care not if it's A Frame, Mono, or Bonded or even lead. I usually choose the best all round bullet for the game I've hunting. In Australia it's usually lead or bonded.
To me it don't matter as long as it works. Dead is dead Wether I shoot it with a 117grain SST or the more expensive 110gn accubond or the 100gn TTSX.
Most of my game can be hunted with cup and core until I'm told I can't use lead.
Bob

@112Savage and @mdwest
I care not if it's A Frame, Mono, or Bonded or even lead. I usually choose the best all round bullet for the game I've hunting. In Australia it's usually lead or bonded.
To me it don't matter as long as it works. Dead is dead Wether I shoot it with a 117grain SST or the more expensive 110gn accubond or the 100gn TTSX.
Most of my game can be hunted with cup and core until I'm told I can't use lead.
Bob

For some reason if you were told you can't...I just don't really see you complying...

@112Savage and @mdwest
Bob
Totally agree Bob, I will hunt with cup & core non-bonded bullets in 30-06 class cartridges. I have a Barnes load for my Mauser and Blaser but do not regularly shoot it. Standard bullets have worked just fine for a long time, however for my 300 Weatherby Magnum I prefer a Barnes TTSX and drive the 168gr at 3280fps (1.5gr under max load). Cup & core bullets on close impacts on light/medium game cause too much damage and the Barnes holds together well at higher than standard impact velocities.
Match you bullet/game/cartridge that's the key.

For some reason if you were told you can't...I just don't really see you complying...
@Inline6
I would comply eventually, but I would use all my cup and core or bonded first. No use wasting perfectly good bullets by not using them.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!