Arrow build for Cape buffalo & Giraffe

In 2015 I travelled to RSA with a plan to take a buffalo cow with a bow. Due to late license issuing I was forced to take the buff with a rifle yet I had a chance to test on cow arrow penetration so I can share with you my experience.

I couldn’t find in Europe any decent heavy weight arrows so I made them for myself. I didn’t want to play smart and invent the wheel so I tried to implement as much as possible of Dr Ashby rules; single bevel, shaft narrower than ferule, extra FOC. I used no aluminum parts.

I was ready for long and painful game “try & error” in making arrows but I was blessed with getting the most accurate and most silent arrow I ever had - form the first trial.

I used Elite PURE 80#, 29.5” bow (measured 76#) and 905grs arrows.

• Shaft – Gold Tip Big Game 100+ (10.6gpi)
  • Grizzly + steel ferule = 298grs
  • Brass inserter (100grs) with + weight (steel) screwed on (20grs)
  • Plastic inserter (inside of whole shaft) – 5gps
  • Vanes 5” (previously I had a problem with shorter vanes to stabilize massive Grizzly)
  • Velocity – 194 fps
  • FOC – 21.4%
I took a buff cow with Marlin GG .45/70 Govt but just few minutes after a shot, during preparation for photo session I tested the bow on animal (my estimate is 1.300-1.400 lbs). I released an arrow from 20m and 2/3 of arrow went out other side! I was more than happy with results.

Hope it might help you to save a lot of time and money

IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected to have possible flight issues with the 2.5 Blazer vanes and was ready to experiment with 4 & 5 inch and 3 and 4 fletch but they flew great with the short vanes and tuned to bullet hole through paper. 200 fps #73 I only had 20, 30 40 yard pins and my bull was shot at 30.

I expected to have possible flight issues with the 2.5 Blazer vanes and was ready to experiment with 4 & 5 inch and 3 and 4 fletch but they flew great with the short vanes and tuned to bullet hole through paper. 200 fps #73 I only had 20, 30 40 yard pins and my bull was shot at 30.
Obviously your bow was probably better tuned that mine. What is the weight of your arrows and which broadhead you used?

Obviously your bow was probably better tuned that mine. What is the weight of your arrows and which broadhead you used?
Check a few posts back, data included there.

For my 2 cents- I am very supportive of Dan's (Limcroma safaris) response.

I've never bowhunter cape buff or giraffe personally. Been around and know bowhunters who have. I know that most have used 900-1000 gr. total weight arrows. All have used a reliable 2-blade BH.

I do stay in Holiday Inns a lot and I have killed a 2000 lb water buff with a bow. Water buffs are wider than cape buffs but have a different bone structure. Capes have a louvered rib cage, the water buff has a traditional designed rib cage. Momentum, not arrow speed or KE, is the key to penetrating and killing the larger animals. You've gotta have an arrow that will break a rib bone and penetrate the vitals. I've run out of money !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!