Any Recent CPAP Travelers with QATAR?

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Anyone travel with and/or use a CPAP (sleep apnea) device on Qatar Airways?

I found their written policy on-line and it appears they lump a CPAP device in with more serious respiratory gear.

I was not sure if policy was out ofdate so I spoke with a customer service representative. He chased down the same written policy and read it back to me. It's summarized below, but I wear hearing aids, so Grain of Salt.

Qatar Airways CPAP Policy - per call to customer service 4-24-21:
A. Requires enough batteries to cover 150% of flight time. My Pilot 24 Lite battery will run my
AIR MINI apprx 15 hours. Mentioned Doha leg is ~15 hours, but that I Only use it for sleeping. Rep told me to bring two batteries. (These run > $300 each.)
B. Need a signed letter from physician stating:
1. That I need to travel with a CPAP device.
2. The reason (diagnosis)
3. That I am healthy enough to travel.
Again - their policy lumps a CPAP in with several other breathing devices.

I asked if the specific back-up battery needed advance approval and "I think" he indicated no, but did not fully understand what he said...

Will they enforce this at the gate? It doesn't make sense really.
I use a CPAP, when I researched options I found certain batteries etc are airline approved. I see your problem but you may only sleep 8 hours and that's pending flight times.
It's not connected for 24/7 oxygen supply .
Does their policy require them to carry adequate fuel for 150% of the intended flight duration

That's why I'm asking if anyone has actual recent experience. With Qatar.

Following this. I am flying Qatar late May. This is one thing I didn’t think about. I was not planning on using during flight tho.

My spouse used one for several years until surgery rerouted her sinus issues. We always simply put in a suitcase in checked baggage - domestic or international travel.

Agreed, if you don’t plan to use it during the flight I wouldn’t say anything about it.

That's why I'm asking if anyone has actual recent experience. With Qatar.
Understood,
I guess I'm just questioning their logic or putting it in perspective.
Having researched CPAP options before purchase I considered my options if air travel was in my future or if I would buy a travel unit do to the nature of my work. My decision was I would probably upgrade if I could afford international travel.
I think I could suffer through one flight without it.
Are these options if the airline are adamant?

I contacted Special Services with Qatar and here is there reply. I am putting mine in checked luggage and not worry about it.

We will like to inform you that Qatar Airways will require to a passenger travelling with a Continuous positive airway pressure CPAP machine to carry a medical certificate issued by the passenger treating Doctor indicating that your condition is stable and you are fit to travel on the applicable journey.

Qatar Airways allows individuals to use electronic respiratory assistive devices in the passenger cabin as long as the device displays a manufacturer’s label that indicates that the device meets with the requirements set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and can be stowed according to cabin safety requirements.

Some of the aircrafts may have power outlet, however we cannot guarantee they will be working or if will have enough power to charge your medical device.

If you need to use your device onboard we recommend you to carry an adequate number of batteries to power the device for not less than 150% of the expected flight duration; Qatar Airways may refuse a passenger on board a flight if the conditions for acceptance of a medical portable electronic device are not in compliance.

Assistive devices do not count towards your baggage allowance.

I got another email from Qatar Special services concerning CPAP.

They asked for booking number and would add to file. If carrying on board need dr paperwork. If putting in checked luggage dr paperwork not needed but they needed to know so when went thru ex ray.

Goodman thanks for the info and help.

I have never flown Qatar (flown Air France, British Airways to Paris/Italy SAA to Namibia and Emirates to Zim x2 and domestically to Alaska and the lower 48 numerous times with my travel machine) but I seriously doubt the average Joe crew know the details regarding CPAP policy. The equipment has become so prevalent that one no longer needs to take it out of your bag during security.

I have always carried my CPAP machine in my carry on bag and have used it on every overnight flight since 2007, never having shown any physician notes. My only concern had been to take a battery when in economy vs put the battery in my checked bag. First and business class typically have electric plugs.

Again, I have never flown Qatar but not one crew member has ever said a word and once past security no one is the wiser. Once on the plane it’s a mute point....

I flew Qatar from Montreal to Doha and again from Doha to JNB on April 11-12, 2021. I carried the travel version of the Phillips Dreamstation in my carry-on luggage.. Neither Qatar nor security raised any questions about it. I didn’t use it on the flight, but there was no reason I couldn’t - there is a plug at the seat.

Flew Qatar in Aug 2019 from Nashville to Joberg via Chicago with return thru Philly. Had Transcend Travel CPAP with me in carryon. Nobody ever asked a question from TSA to Qatar. Had one battery that last 12 hours. Not sure what kind, but most airlines want batteries of the CPAP kind and storage capacity in your carryon, NOT in your packed luggage due to potential for fire, however slight that is. Used CPAP without comment, even plugging battery and unit into convenience outlet in business class so never really had to use battery. Don’t know if anything has changed, but have same plan for May flight this year on Ethiopian Airlines to Harare. Hope this helps give you peace of mind. I know the surrounding passengers appreciated me using. I can drowned out a couple of GE turbines with my snoring!

Just to update - I emailed Qatar Special Services with a request to use my Travel CPAP on their flights, with notes from me (and also noted in my doctor's letter) that it's "just needed for sleeping".

The letter from my Doctor covered all the required bases (see post #1) plus a little more.

Approval from Qatar came back promptly (following day) and is show below.

From: Special Services <specialservices@us.qatarairways.> {dotcom removed}
To: xxx xxx
Cc: Special Services

Date: Thu, Jun 17 at 7:35 AM

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Qatar Airways.

We received your request and your reservation has been updated, your doctor letter will be sent to all concerned stations.

Qatar Airways allows individuals to use electronic respiratory assistive devices in the passenger cabin as long as the device displays a manufacturer’s label that indicates that the device meets with the requirements set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and can be stowed according to cabin safety requirements.

Some of the aircrafts may have power outlet, however we cannot guarantee they will be working or if will have enough power to charge your medical device.

Assistive devices do not count towards your baggage allowance.

If you have any questions, please feel free, to contact us at 1877 777 2827.

My email to Special Services:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Booking reference (PNR) : xxxxx

I am booked on Qatar flights to Johannesburg, South Africa and return, departing from Albuquerque, NM on July 15 per the above Booking reference. These are Business Class seats except for one American Airlines commuter flight (DFW to ABQ) on the return.

Due to having Sleep Apnea, I plan to carry my CPAP machine with me (it's only needed for sleeping), if that is acceptable.
My travel CPAP machine is a (very small, very quiet) Resmed Air Mini Travel CPAP. It can run on normal A/C power or special batteries.

I will have two (2) "Pilot-24 Lite" batteries made by Medistrom - which are made for use with various brands of CPAP equipment, including the Resmed Air Mini Travel CPAP.
I can use these (again, it's only needed for sleeping), if A/C power is not available on the plane. Each battery will cover me for two days of travel which is well beyond, (more than 200%), of what is needed.

I have attached a letter from my Doctor showing my diagnosis, explaining what a CPAP machine is, and also stating that I am healthy and able to travel.

Please advise if there are any issues, or if you need any other information.

xxxxxx

Edit - The manufacturer's label on the AirMini CPAP does show that it's "FAA Compliant".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,