Any reason not to use a 300 PRC for Plains Game??

I have fired exactly one round 300 PRC. I was hunting Barbary sheep and red lechwe in RSA. That evening the property owner invited us to check out his fancy range setup. The clubhouse overlooking the range, had all the amenities: lounge sofa, full fridge, wet bar, loading bench, two shooting benches, and ... large screen TV. He turns on the TV and it has six split screens. Cameras were situated in bunkers in front of targets downrange. He handed me his 300 PRC and pointed to the left shooting bench. Well, okay. Which target? "The thousand meter one WAAAAAY down there." You're kidding, right? "No. The gun can do it if you can." I settled down, tuned the rifle's mega-fancy scope per his instructions, and touched it off. PH slapped my shoulder and pointed at the TV. Impact was about 2.5" right of the bull. Amazing. Owner told me to take another shot but I decided to quit while I was ahead. Also, it was during the pandemic and I just didn't feel right wasting scarce components.

That club house sounds incredible.

Components were VERY scarce for 300 PRC for a long time...issues related to supply chain and large govt contracts for 300 PRC.

Are there businesses in Africa that do custom ammunition loading? If so, it could be possible to just place an order before you arrive and then not have to worry at all about cartridge availability. Just a thought!

The 300 PRC and 300 WM are really ballistic twins. Only difference is you can find 300 win mag ammo if yours goes missing really anywhere in the world. If you already own a 300 PRC then it will work fine since the 300wm and h&h are very well proven in Africa.

My 300 PRC is equipped with premium bullets, which I would use for PG. If you use the appropriate bullets, there's no reason it won't function. It will be more influenced by the rifle than by the bullet.

If you're confident in the rifle...take it. If you choose the right bullet and place it where it needs to be then it doesn't take a lot to bring down plains game. There is also the possibility of losing your ammo, so just take a backup common caliber; 300win, 30-06, 270, etc.

My wife killed everything from eland, kudu, down to impala, etc with her 30-06 and had devastating results. My 7 year old killed 2 wildebeest, zebra, hartebeest, and a few smaller animals with 120gr ttsx 7mm-08.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kerri63S2

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….