Anthrax kills 109 hippos in Bwabwata

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.namibian.com.na/60192/read/Anthrax-kills-109-hippos-in-Bwabwata

ABOUT 109 hippos have been killed in a suspected anthrax outbreak in western Bwabwata National Park in a week.

Parks deputy director of the north-east regions, Apollinaris Kannyinga, confirmed the deaths to The Namibian yesterday, saying the hippos have died from Sunday last week.

“We first noticed the deaths of 10 hippos last week Sunday, but the number increased during the week.

“As we speak, the number of deaths is 109. We suspect an anthrax outbreak, but our veterinary team is still to confirm that,'' he said.

Kannyinga also said such outbreaks were frequent.

“We even saw the one in Tanzania, so as much as the numbers seem to be high, the hippo population usually recovers,” he said.

He also said they are currently monitoring the situation, and that the dead hippos are yet to be disposed of.

“The other mortalities are dispersed over the river, and the crocodiles and vultures are feeding on them,” he said, adding that this is a natural phenomenon caused by the low waters in the Kavango River.

“We will just sensitise the community not to try and get the meat of these dead hippos for consumption,” he said.

The hippo population in Namibia was estimated at 1 300 before the latest deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I do hope this doesn't impact more of the hippo population! If they only had 1300 as cited in the article the death of 109 is a BIG blow.tha is nearly 10% of the total.

When I did a photo safari in Chobe National Park, Botswana a few years ago, there were a number of dead elephants we came across. The tour guide told us that the deaths were anthrax related.

I had hippo for lunch a week ago yesterday. It looked to be in good health before it was shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldaddy

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.