another 375 H&H slow load question

Looking for anyone with experience downloading 375 to 9.3x62 territory.

Since my wife has never shot anything with thump, I want to work up a load with a 250 gr (Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc), or possibly Hammer's 220 or 256 gr, that will come in at under 30 ft lbs of recoil in my new Ruger #1 tropical.

I'll likely be using Varget over the other medium rate spherical I have since they seem to perform more consistently with powder charges above 95% fill.

At the upper 20s, that's roughly the same as a lightweight 30-06 pushing 200 gr or heavier bullets, so shouldn't be a bad intro to medium bore.
@sgt_zim
After reading the 9.3x62 journal ( a very enlightening read) they found that penetration on game was better with the 375 at slower velocity and there wasn't much difference in performance on game.
Bob
 
Looking for anyone with experience downloading 375 to 9.3x62 territory.

Since my wife has never shot anything with thump, I want to work up a load with a 250 gr (Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc), or possibly Hammer's 220 or 256 gr, that will come in at under 30 ft lbs of recoil in my new Ruger #1 tropical.

I'll likely be using Varget over the other medium rate spherical I have since they seem to perform more consistently with powder charges above 95% fill.

At the upper 20s, that's roughly the same as a lightweight 30-06 pushing 200 gr or heavier bullets, so shouldn't be a bad intro to medium bore.
@sgt_zim
You could just try using minimum loads of H4350 for a given projectile. This would give even slightly lower recoil because the powder charge would be less for a given weight than varget. Less projecta mass equals less recoil and muzzle blast.
Bob
 
It's a Ruger #1, so a little light for 375 H&H, I think factory spec on it is around 8.5#, plus a scope will get me a little over 9#. I have a heavy PAST pad I use for my 404J, definitely part of the equation.

I had a couple 30-06, but I sold them both years ago. My 9.3 is just way too long for her to shoot - LOP is 14.75 to fit me. I have some nice, mild loads for Oryx at a bit under 2300 fps, the rifle is just too long for her.

I'm checking with a couple buddies to see if I could borrow a 30-06 or 300 WSM, but I think I'm going to have to find a slow load with a light bullet for the Ruger.
@sgt_zim
You could always order another stock from Ruger and cut it to fit her then add some lead to the stock to increase the weight.
With 2 stocks you have a rifle that fits both of you.
Bob
 
@sgt_zim
You could always order another stock from Ruger and cut it to fit her then add some lead to the stock to increase the weight.
With 2 stocks you have a rifle that fits both of you.
Bob
Bob, she's about 5'11". I suspect the OEM LOP is going to be right where it needs to be, or perhaps a skosh short. She has a long neck and long arms. The recoil pad looks OEM, I may replace that anyway, we'll see when I finally take possession of it in a week or so (should arrive at my dealer's house tomorrow). I'm in Baton Rouge taking care of Mom until next weekend.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,376
Members
170,566
Latest member
FredricOve
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top