Another “hunt” from YouTube Cape Buffalo

I believe they bait bears in Canada don’t they?
They do. The argument being it's nearly impossible in this thick bush to harvest them without baiting and we have too many bears. If bear numbers aren't kept in check it can affect the moose population. That's the official justification anyway. I don't hunt bears, baiting or not.

There is no reason to swear off hunting in South Africa, but don’t underestimate the percentage. Maybe 0.5% or less of hunts are conducted like this, but a significant percentage of buffalo bulls were bred on farms and released on to hunting farms either when young or post breeding. Like you said choose wisely.
Therefore I would never hunt in a "concession" with 1.000 acres or so... there is no way that this is enough space for a self sustaining herd...

Talking about 10.000 hectars and more, well that's a different story... that's not a "real" free range, but imho it starts getting quite real in sense of self sustainability...

Using this forum is the best way to avoid a bad surprise :)

Therefore I would never hunt in a "concession" with 1.000 acres or so... there is no way that this is enough space for a self sustaining herd...

Talking about 10.000 hectars and more, well that's a different story... that's not a "real" free range, but imho it starts getting quite real in sense of self sustainability...

Using this forum is the best way to avoid a bad surprise :)
The idea of calling any privately owned property a concession is kind of silly. If it is owned privately, it is a ranch, farm, game preserve, lease etc. In my mind a concession is a tract of government or community owned land leased out to an operator for hunting purposes.

I think you make a very valid point about a self-sustaining heard. Regardless of size, I don't want to hunt anything where the animals were not born on the property and essentially existed wild since whatever the first breeding stock was first introduced. I generally don't have any problem with baiting wild animals, but hunting African animals that have been accustomed to supplemental feed just isn't much fun.

Why is it that nearly every (or literally every) single one of these jackass videos of unethical idiots doing really dumb stuff takes place in South Africa? Why don’t we see these kind of videos occur in places like Zimbabwe, Zambia or Tanzania?

And as to ‘concessions’; a high fenced ranch, no matter 1,000 or even 50,000 acres, is not a concession. It is a game ranch. There is no comparison between a 1,000 acre pen and a true wild area of hundreds of thousands or millions of acres where the only thing separating one concession from another is a dirt two-track or river.

Why is it that nearly every (or literally every) single one of these jackass videos of unethical idiots doing really dumb stuff takes place in South Africa? Why don’t we see these kind of videos occur in places like Zimbabwe, Zambia or Tanzania?

And as to ‘concessions’; a high fenced ranch, no matter 1,000 or even 50,000 acres, is not a concession. It is a game ranch. There is no comparison between a 1,000 acre pen and a true wild area of hundreds of thousands or millions of acres where the only thing separating one concession from another is a dirt two-track or river.
Volume of PHs and hunters combined with the easiest PH requirements, the most inexpensive hunts, and commercial farming practices for wild species creates the perfect scenario for these videos. The usual excuse is it’s only a few bad operators, but the line between farming and hunting has been blurred for a long time and I think many there fail to draw a distinction anymore. The line between farming and wildlife is very clear to see in other countries (for good or bad), but a wild species is wild there. I wish South Africa would clean up its hunting but the commercial farming/hunting model seems here to stay. The demand is unfortunately there.

Volume of PHs and hunters combined with the easiest PH requirements, the most inexpensive hunts, and commercial farming practices for wild species creates the perfect scenario for these videos. The usual excuse is it’s only a few bad operators, but the line between farming and hunting has been blurred for a long time and I think many there fail to draw a distinction anymore. The line between farming and wildlife is very clear to see in other countries (for good or bad), but a wild species is wild there. I wish South Africa would clean up its hunting but the commercial farming/hunting model seems here to stay. The demand is unfortunately there.

All in all the game ranch model is one of the biggest environmental wins of our lifetime. Millions of acres of ag and ranch land have been converted back to wildlife habitat. I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I hunt a place near Alldays which is more challenging to hunt for plains game than any unfenced area I've ever hunted. From an experience perspective, it's really no different than hunting unfenced. There are more safari operators in SA than the rest of Africa combined. Many of them offer wonderful and unique opportunities. I think we are better off pointing out the bad apples and educating consumers. At the end of the day it's the client who gets cheated out of a real meaningful experience whether they know it or not.

The next step in this evolution would be for neighbors to ban together, take down internal fences, and create large conservancies suitable for big five habitat and hunting. There are many places in SA where this could occur, but I believe the political situation right now would prevent the kind of investment necessary.

All in all the game ranch model is one of the biggest environmental wins of our lifetime. Millions of acres of ag and ranch land have been converted back to wildlife habitat. I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I hunt a place near Alldays which is more challenging to hunt for plains game than any unfenced area I've ever hunted. From an experience perspective, it's really no different than hunting unfenced. There are more safari operators in SA than the rest of Africa combined. Many of them offer wonderful and unique opportunities. I think we are better off pointing out the bad apples and educating consumers. At the end of the day it's the client who gets cheated out of a real meaningful experience whether they know it or not.

The next step in this evolution would be for neighbors to ban together, take down internal fences, and create large conservancies suitable for big five habitat and hunting. There are many places in SA where this could occur, but I believe the political situation right now would prevent the kind of investment necessary.
Totally agree with the last paragraph

Again, it is painful to see these videos as a South African. The answer to your question is lots of incentives and no repercussions. The same as with all problems in the world. There is money to be made easily by doing this, and no accountability or repercussions for these clowns operating like this.

I tend to think the primary factors enabling this type of stuff are the apathy or complicity of a governing body and the private ownership of the wildlife/land. Don’t get me wrong, obviously the right of private ownership is a wonderful thing but with rights come responsibility. Too many people are in it for the money only. Everybody has to make a living and capitalism is another wonderful thing. I’m just saying conservation ought to be on one’s mind every bit as much as making a profit.

I agree with the last paragraph but I don’t see it happening. Too many individuals have to agree on everything. I think the game ranch model is a partial truth we keep telling ourselves. There are very well managed reserves, but the majority are small (under 10,000 acre) farms. It’s fair chase but not fully self sustaining. Color variants, breeding unnatural trophies, CBL lions lead to say it’s commercial farming and not the environmental win of our lifetime. Taking out aggressive bull buffalo and aggressive bull giraffes on these smaller farms is the path to domesticating animals not an environmental win over long term. I really think you need to search out proper hunting in South Africa rather than expect it. The commercial farming/hunting model is too entrenched now especially in Limpopo.

Yes, look around and you can find "game farms" that provide good hunting experiences with resource managed better than any public land government agencies I know.

A very nice hartbeest bull and cow pops from the ravine behind us as tracker is about to dress my first impala. My PH calls the landowner to see if it's doable. Nope. The drought has been hard on them. If the bull is with a cow, definitely not.

The last time I hunted that property (167K acres and less than half hunted due to inaccessibility) we were out culling a couple of scruff impala rams for staff meat. We were headed down into a heavy cover draw where I'd dropped the first one. Suddenly a half dozen dinky gray antelope ran across just below me. My PH became so excited I thought he'd soil himself. "Wait till I tell the owner. This will be GREAT news for the folks up here." Turns out the owner's dad had reintroduced this species more than thirty years earlier but all promptly disappeared. Everyone presumed the little buggers didn't make it. The last one to run by me definitely had some spikes. So it's a breeding group. I understand the discovery created quite a bit of excitement among area farmers.

And there were other properties where the hunting was more of the canned variety. I think if you're looking for the exotic stuff (e.g. golden wildebeest, bontebuck, roan), you can expect the hunt may be more "cultivated." Nothing wrong with asking the lodge operator or PH the size of the property before plans are firmed up for a hunt. For management shooting, the size of the property isn't a big concern to me. It's live animal target practice. I generally am very fussy about those shots anyway. Nothing long range and head or neck shots only. For kudu or gemsbuck I'll keep the shot behind the shoulder so the cape can be sold. Kudu are considered free roaming as they can negotiate even high fences. Even a smaller property can have roaming kudu on it. Hardly canned hunts no matter where you are. Unless, of course, they're being fed.

The alternative is to hunt public property in the American West. Generally, that has become very disappointing. An endless circus of fools driving all over everything in ATVs and SxSs. Even in the backcountry there seems to be a tent on every ridge. It can take years of acquiring points before an elk tag is in your pocket and then lucky if you even see one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.07 AM Large.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.09 AM Large.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.14 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 10.48.14 AM Large.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 57
For curiosity‘s sake, Ontario Hunter, what were the dinky gray antelope that ran bye you? Bush duiker, mountain reedbuck or what?
I've asked my former PH at least a half dozen times and he kindly gives me the name but I'm bad with names, especially animals for which I have no interest. I need to contact him again anyway. Mountain reedbuck rings a bell. I'll let you know.

In my old age it seems like we are missing a great opportunity. Most of us that have hunted a lot and call ourselves hunters (not collectors) know that this video has nothing to do with hunting as an experience that has been passed down to us for generations. Stuff from The Old Man and the Boy. You would think SCI and DSC would use this to say that this has nothing to do with the sport of the hunting experience. As old men we need to find those younger folks and do some passing on that which we have inherited. We do what we do here and call it what it is. And whatever expletive or adjectival descriptor one want to use, hunting is just not it.

The shooter is no youngster....

I found this gem while trying to fall asleep last night.

So the story goes that these two rogue bulls escaped from a “large concession” into a smaller breeding area. The bulls were immediately drawn to the truck. It looks to me like that had missed the feed wagon for a few day and were ready for their rations.

So then these fine sportsmen decide to shoot it with a bow and “ Ill equipped arrow” for sport from the back of the truck.

Absolute garbage all around. This is worse than our favorite lion cross bow video.

Absolutely disgusting!

This is so damaging to RSA hunting. While this is rare in RSA, it never occurs in Zim. Hence, I recommend everyone hunt Zim to reduce the risk of this terrible game ranch experience. RSA Operators, I'm not hating on your country, but you've got to go on the offensive as this video damages your national reputation and profession immensely.

Then we go to the hunter himself. Every time we get an uppity, aggressive bowhunting thread on this forum, its from a guy that wants to extol the virtues of "speed kills" with light arrows and "hardware store" broadheads just like this guy had. My 12 year old would have had double the penetration with his 42lb bow and proper arrows than this joker. Point of my critique: anecdotes of how many thousands of white tail deer one kills with their bow setup is rendered moot in Africa. If the bow isn't perfectly tuned with properly weighted arrows and world class broadheads, you end up looking like a buffoon. Perhaps that's why the buffalo was so annoyed at the truck in the first place, it had probably been hit by similar shots countless times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanisIap02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!