Ammo in 30-06 for Eland

I am a 30 06 fan. I have shot more animals in Africa with it than anything else by a bunch. But I shot my Eland with a .375, its a big animal. If you are trophy hunting you don't always get the perfect shot, the .375 gives you a little insurance. Having got that off my chest I would have no problems using a 06 on a Eland so long as I had a long heavy "high sectional density" well constructed bullet. I would also understand that I might have to pass on a shot that could be reasonable with the .375

$0.02 more on the topic... I have to agree with wyohunter on this one from personal experience.

I shot an eland in May of this year using a 165gn TSX out of a .300 SAUM. The bullet was going 3060 fps, so only slightly faster than what can be achieved with an '06.

The placement was in the shoulder. Bullet penetration was <2" short of a through-and-through. Consistent 1.5" wound channel that began almost at the point of penetration. The animal went a very short distance before tipping over.

I now believe that this bullet / weight combination was so effective because I used a bullet designed for near 100% weight retention. Inertia was preserved because the bullet held together. "Shock" due to KE transfer to the body appeared minimal. Tissue damage due to long, straight wound channel appeared to be maximized.

More grist for the mill. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their bullet choice, but did want to add info to the conversation.

- browningbbr

Bullets from Remington Express 180 PSP CL and 220 SP CL will work well?

Bullets from Remington Express 180 PSP CL and 220 SP CL will work well?

Woodleigh do a 240g designed to work at 30-06 velocities. They mailed me the following loads as having been found to be effective:

Federal 210 primer
48 grains H4350 for 2250 fps
54 grains H4831SC for 2350 fps

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried these bullets.

Usual disclaimers about reloading! Don't do it unless you understand and accept the risks. And be careful!

I also shot most of my animals with a 30.06 and found that the 180gr works best. You can go 200 or 220gr as well, but dont use lighter than 180gr. A bow set at 70 - 75 pounds with a 500gr arrow works well.

Hello,
I'll hunt in Namibia in May, I go with a group of hunters, they book a packge, Kudu, Orix, red hartebeast, sprinbuck and faco. But I gona try eland and black face impala. For this hunting trip I gona use a 300 wm 180 grs nosler partition, it's my second eland and I think it's gona work perfectly.

Hi guys

Sorry, no pic of Eland YET ! But haven't forgotten of my promise to upload the pic of the fallen Eland once I get him. This year I will have to be content with a red hartbeest and some springbuck and MAYBE, just maybe a kudu bull, all depends if we "bump" into one on our search for springbuck.

Enjoy your hunting season ! (well hunting season is around the corner here in SA ....:beer:)

Hi Guys

From the information i got on the thread you probably wont recommend a 308 (with the Swift A Frame 180gr) for an Eland?

Regards

You can,if you're an experienced hunter and you know exactly what you are doing.Otherwise, a 30-06 with a premium 180 - 220 gr bullet would be my minimum recommendation.Even then,your shot placement remains your top priority.

Thanks DOCMAN

I will defenitely go and practise with the 308 on the shooting range to build up te confidence. But the range is a different story when a 700kg Eland bull is in front of you.

Gillie,

there are 100's of extra-ordinary bullets out there, however - getting hold of them proves exhaustive most of the times - for me here in Nam though. Shot placement is 99 % the game - period!

I shot a Eland last week with my 30-06 with standard PMP Pro-Ams (180sn) Distance was about 120 m and i drove it behind the shoulder-low (magic place) and it ran 40-50 m and dropped like a sack of potatoes. Should you have easy acess to premium bullets - go for it of course - if not - Piet Marais Patrone (PMP) will work just as good if you do your part.

Incidentally - i also shot 2 kudu and 2 Gemsbok with same bullets same place - at distances from 120 - 180 m and "magically" all of them were also found quite expired after 20-50 m from point of impact.

IMO 180 - 220 gr standard bullets in 30-06 is just as magic as your placement allows them to be.

Pictures of my hunt will follow shortly elsewhere in the forum.

Last edited:
I would recommend the 180 Swift A for the 308 Win. for eland. As long as you take broadside or quartering away shots you will be fine. The straight frontal shot is fine as long it's centered. The quartering to shot, I would avoid!

I used a 200 gr Nosler Partition "Semi-pointed" in my .30-06 for my eland. The semi-pointed Nosler Partition is no longer available.

I just arrive fom Namibia, I shot a eland with a 300 wm 180grs nosler partition, run 30 mts and fell down. Exelent safary with good trophis and brillant organization.

Although I stated the 180 and 200 gr. Noslers has worked for me on Eland, I probably need to stipulate that I have shot many Eland and it does not bother me to pass up a shot on Eland if they are not broadside and within about 100 yards so that I can place that shot..

If I were to hunt Lord Derby Eland, which I have not hunted for instance in which case I would take no less than a 338 and would prefer a 375 H&H as I would take whatever shot I was presented. Maybe I should suggest this to the first time hunter to Africa.

Keep in mind that an Eland can weigh more than a Cape Buffalo and his bone structure is about the same I'd venture and in many cases Eland can be tough to kill, and how many would hunt buffalo with a 30-06. I have shot buffalo with a 30-06 and its a bit light IMO and one must use all caution, same would apply to Eland.

Myself and Phillip Price shot an Eland 7 times on one ocassion me with a .375 and Phillip with a 243That big bull went probably 500 yards before he bled out and all shots were killing body shots, about what one would expect on a Cape buffalo full of adrenaline.

Just food for thought.

Since he is going with his 06 might as well limit my thoughts to what I would shoot in an 06 not what I would use.

That said, I would use a 180 or 200 grain Partition, A-Frame or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, whichever my rifle liked best and would limit my shots to inside 150 yards and to broadside or slightly quartering away.

I would take a front on shot as long as it was straight on (not heavily quartering toward me) and I was inside 100 yards.

You bust his lungs with any of those and he will die. He might run 100-200 yards but he will die. But with a .30-06 if you don't hit the lungs you are in for a long day and possibly lost animal.

Of course that is true with my .300 Wby or a .375 H&H but the latter will give you some extra punch and possibly slow him down enough with even a bad shot that you might get a 2nd chance to bang the lungs.

Key is use a good bullet and make a good shot. You do that and you could kill em with a .270 or 7x57

Almost 2 years later since the last post... and here he is
2_zps0be16c66.jpg

Slaughtered weight 440 pounds (200kg, feet, head, skin and entrails removed). Not the biggest bodied, but was not supposed to be trophy, will still get that one.

Shot with a 180gr NorthFork out of my 30-06 at about 2670 fps muzzle velocity at 175m. Eland bull went about 50m before rolling over. Shot behind the shoulder and penetrated the lungs and heart, through the opposite shoulder and the bullet was found just under the skin...
Bullet retained 176gr
20130520_071158_zpsb3f88aa5.jpg

Thanks for all the comments through the years ! ;)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing the results.

Thanks for the report gillie, I love the pictures! North Fork bullets are excellent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg