Ammo cannot be packed inside luggage?

Atlanta


Hartsfield-Jackson International
 
I flew out of Atlanta on 18 May to Johannesburg. I declared my guns and said my luggage had a locked case with ammunition--under 10 pounds. They proceeded to say the ammunition had to fly as a separate piece of luggage. The ammunition was given its own pink sheet, own Delta tracking label and was treated as a firearm. I called Delta and the agent said the same and the TSA agent where I had to open everything a second time was too aggressive to answer a question, as she pulled apart the gun case's foam padding.

I am aware that in SA the ammo travels by itself.

Is it normal for ammunition to fly by itself outside of luggage. I was allowed three pieces of luggage so that did not cost me anything but thought it was strange.
@rgsiii like everything else regarding flying with Firearms & Ammo in the U.S. “it’s a mess”. FAA regulations “allow” ammo & firearms to be together in the same case BUT some airlines do NOT. Therefore you must know your airline’s regulations as well as the FAA. AN airline can NOT ignore FAA regulations but they can impose their own additional restrictions. Then, factor in what other Countries can do = a real “mess”. I’ve always found the most exciting part of my hunts was flying my firearms & ammo there — way more heart pounding then a Buffalo or Grizzly charge….maybe Not as deadly.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,345
Messages
1,573,600
Members
169,767
Latest member
unfeobila1987
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top