Ambient Temps while handloading

roverandbrew

AH fanatic
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
728
Reaction score
2,381
Media
43
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
My current reloading setup is in my garage in Colorado. Day time temps in the winter range from 60 to single digits. I keep most components inside during the winter with only bullets and press / tools remain outside. What is the lowest temp you experienced hand loaders feel is reasonable to load in and maintain accuracy in hunting temps between 80 and single digits? A 45 degree day in the garage is bearable and not too bad.
 
It's going to depend on what you can stand as far as temperatures.

I don't believe that the temperature that you load a round at has anything to do with it's accuracy. But there are a few powders out there that are temperature sensitive as far as when the load is shot out of the rifle. This is why I do most of my load development during the summer when I am shooting at the range is usually a higher temperature than it will be when I am hunting.

The biggest problem will be contaminating the powder if it is a humid day with moisture getting into the powder dispenser and or can of powder.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,571,108
Members
169,107
Latest member
ShaniWorga
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top