Alaska Arms Mag Extender

Papa72

AH veteran
Reaction score
Interested in feedback on AA’s Ruger magazine extender. I see it’s stainless which wouldn’t match my African but I could live with that for the benefit of an extra round & a little extra weight, assuming good reviews.

I haven't tried the AA mag extender but just wanted to suggest that you could easily get it cerakoted to match better with your Hawkeye African.

Good idea, and I would have it coated if I actually get one. Need to hear they have no feeding issues or other glaring issues.

Seems everything AA makes is excellent! I have quite a few sets of their rings and can’t speak highly enough of them!

Seems everything AA makes is excellent! I have quite a few sets of their rings and can’t speak highly enough of them!

Indeed. Morris knows his way around a milling machine…

I only know of one person who has one of the mag extenders. It's on a .338 win mag. I've never grilled him about it but he's never complained about it and hes very much a "guns are tools" oriented guy so if it didn't work I'm sure he wouldn't be using it. And I think if it had any issues there would be people talking about it.

Only thing I wonder is I'd almost think you'd need a longer mag spring.....

Just received a reply from Morris at Alaska Arms and he states that the follower, hinge pin, and mag spring from the original rifle work fine with the extender and there’s never been any feeding issues. That seems odd to me but I can’t find any negative reviews online…but no positive reviews either. So, for $250, gotta mull this one awhile.

Just to follow up, I did purchase AA’s mag extender for my Ruger .375. Morris is indeed a pro & went the extra mile helping me with shipping. Installation took 10 minutes, fit is perfect, and it cycles flawlessly with the stock follower spring as Morris promised. It’s heavier than the factory floorplate, of course, but I wanted the extra weight so win on that too.

Just to follow up, I did purchase AA’s mag extender for my Ruger .375. Morris is indeed a pro & went the extra mile helping me with shipping. Installation took 10 minutes, fit is perfect, and it cycles flawlessly with the stock follower spring as Morris promised. It’s heavier than the factory floorplate, of course, but I wanted the extra weight so win on that too.

Any photos to share?

I did a review of different types of ruger 10/22 magazines, if anyone is interested.

So far my results are the BX1 mags are the most reliable, and I have tried a couple kinds of mag couplers (cheap ebay ones, and the tandemkross doublekross which I highly recommend), I tried the BX-15, BX-25, and the Butler Creek 25/22 mags.

The BX15 and BX25 have some feeding issued wit a couple types of rounds (Mainly flat nose hollowpoints, and CCI AR tactical 22lr)

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the spring.

IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2269.jpeg

Thanks for posting this, I am purchasing this rifle in the future and have been looking into things like this. Really want a removable box mag but with no feeding issues this looks like a great option.

Funny I was thinking about this very thing recently. Contemplating a Ruger African in 300 Win Mag and then getting the AA setup for it.
I would definitely go with AA’s QD rings for your Ruger also. The Warne rings on mine are doing their job so can’t justify swapping at this point.

Yes, they fit Ruger’s proprietary integral base cuts and AA’s are the traditional horizontal split ring as opposed to Warne’s vertical clamp. Just aesthetics for me, I guess. These Warne rings have been great on my .375 so not throwing any shade on ‘em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadia68W7

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.