Airline Archery Baggage Policies

Stubbleduck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
In the past I have traveled on both Delta and American Airlines with archery equipment in bow cases. Both of these airlines specifically state that the normal size (Length, Width, Depth) limits are expanded for such equipment althought normal weight limits remain. I am now looking at flying with archery equipment from Newark to Joberg on United Airlines. While the United Airlines published baggage policy does state that archery equipment is acceptable it does not specifically state that greater than normal size limits are acceptable. Has anyone on this site had any experience traveling on United Airlines with archery equipment that exceeded the normal size limits. My archery baggage will exceed the normal limits (62 inches combined LxWxD) by about nine inches. Appreciate any information.

I have travelled Delta quite a bit. As long as the bow case doesn't exceed the 50# weight rule- I've had no problems. I use a SKB double-bow case with the TSA locks.

I haven't travelled United that I recall but everyone I have travelled with placed my archery equipment in the sporting goods category of luggage and it was OK then. See if they bring that up somewhere.

The only airline to ever charge me for our double SKB cases was United from Houston to Chicago. The flight was booked through Ethiopian Air and there was not supposed to be a charge for the United leg, but the lady with United taking our luggage in Houston charged us anyway. Lesson learned, if you are booking with one airline and their policy allows the luggage, but at some point you have to use one of their partner carriers, then you better have something in black and white when you get to the airport. We have flown Delta and Qatar several times and the one time with Ethiopian that included the United leg. None of the others have charged us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!