AH Get Together at Jagd & Hund January 2023

Just got back home again after 2 days of Jagd & Hund.

Met up with some great people and had a good time with @DieJager discussing the pricepoints of Rigby rifles (a new Rigby PH in 450rigby @ 10K ?? and a nicely engraved one for 18K? ), with me complaining about the awful 3 position safety from Mauser that Rigby (and Mauser) uses.

Also had a beer and a burger full of pastrami from wildboar with fellow Belgian @Sanglier14 who was there with his son.

Said hi to PJ Safaris and @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS, discussed the characteristics of a proper buffalo hunt with @Lex Strauss SAFARIS (he is very convincing :D ), had a chat with Peter from Multana safaris, and got explained the poaching troubles @LEFOL SAFARIS experienced in the past. It was also enlightening to hear about moose and bear hunting in Alberta, Canada.

Some other observations:
This year there were far less outfitters present than previous years. A few big names I saw in the past were not present. Reasons... ? I do not know.

There definitely was taxidermy there, among which an awesome bongo, a brown bear and a lesser kudu full mounts. But much less than in previous editions. I cannot remember having seen leopards or lion mounts.

The two names I am unable to comprehend that they were missing were Heym, and Swarovski optik... Also far less used/vintage rifles for sale in general. Almost only booths with new stuff.

I got to hold a Krieghoff .500NE. Lighter than I expected. The safety/decocker heavier than I expected. I did try the decocker/safety on a nice and trim 9.3x74r double from Krieghoff, and it was far far lighter. Perhaps they loosen up after a while?

Like I mentioned in the beginning, I'm not impressed at all by the three position safety on the Mauser M98's (and therefore the Rigby's too if they use one). They come back too straight towards your hand, which means you cannot easily 'flick' it forward when you bring it to the shoulder. When you try doing it, you just push it forward without any rotation and so nothing happens. Alternatively you can swipe left to right, but then you need to make a second swipe forward to bring it from the second safety point to fire. All this is fine for the smaller calibers, but not for the dangerous game rifles. (anyway my opinion) As well they are so very loud!

Hi al
Yesterday i had a great day in Dortmund together with my oldest son.
We have met with @VertigoBE and @DieJager two very ethical and seroius hunters.
Shared stories and looked photos.
And also very good company to drink a beer together.
Hope to do this soon again in the future.
After whe met @Lex Strauss ho told us everything about buff hunting.
His photos of dagga boys and the hunting area where to me very impressing.
Lex is a very niece and passionate PH.
The members ho have booked a hunt will not regret this im sure.
Also saw for the first time in real a Rigby rising bite double rifle 470 NE a real pearl!

Some really nice artwork:

Image1675016299.032750.jpg

IMG_6655.JPG

EAW reinventing itself, granted this is more for the tacticool crowd. But 3D printed titanium gives a lot of possibilities for future custom mounts. I found the product really interesting.

IMG_6656.JPG

No other pictures to share however :(

I was planning to snap some photos. But total count ended in ZERO photos :ROFLMAO:

Had to much fun chatting with the members.

Thank you for the visit @VertigoBE! Hope you had a fantastic rest of your show. We are looking forward to another exciting show in Salzburg!

Hi al
Yesterday i had a great day in Dortmund together with my oldest son.
We have met with @VertigoBE and @DieJager two very ethical and seroius hunters.
Shared stories and looked photos.
And also very good company to drink a beer together.
Hope to do this soon again in the future.
After whe met @Lex Strauss ho told us everything about buff hunting.
His photos of dagga boys and the hunting area where to me very impressing.
Lex is a very niece and passionate PH.
The members ho have booked a hunt will not regret this im sure.
Also saw for the first time in real a Rigby rising bite double rifle 470 NE a real pearl!

Was fantastic meeting you all! Next year we do it again over a cold one!

Just got back home again after 2 days of Jagd & Hund.

Met up with some great people and had a good time with @DieJager discussing the pricepoints of Rigby rifles (a new Rigby PH in 450rigby @ 10K ?? and a nicely engraved one for 18K? ), with me complaining about the awful 3 position safety from Mauser that Rigby (and Mauser) uses.

Also had a beer and a burger full of pastrami from wildboar with fellow Belgian @Sanglier14 who was there with his son.

Said hi to PJ Safaris and @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS, discussed the characteristics of a proper buffalo hunt with @Lex Strauss SAFARIS (he is very convincing :D ), had a chat with Peter from Multana safaris, and got explained the poaching troubles @LEFOL SAFARIS experienced in the past. It was also enlightening to hear about moose and bear hunting in Alberta, Canada.

Some other observations:
This year there were far less outfitters present than previous years. A few big names I saw in the past were not present. Reasons... ? I do not know.

There definitely was taxidermy there, among which an awesome bongo, a brown bear and a lesser kudu full mounts. But much less than in previous editions. I cannot remember having seen leopards or lion mounts.

The two names I am unable to comprehend that they were missing were Heym, and Swarovski optik... Also far less used/vintage rifles for sale in general. Almost only booths with new stuff.

I got to hold a Krieghoff .500NE. Lighter than I expected. The safety/decocker heavier than I expected. I did try the decocker/safety on a nice and trim 9.3x74r double from Krieghoff, and it was far far lighter. Perhaps they loosen up after a while?

Like I mentioned in the beginning, I'm not impressed at all by the three position safety on the Mauser M98's (and therefore the Rigby's too if they use one). They come back too straight towards your hand, which means you cannot easily 'flick' it forward when you bring it to the shoulder. When you try doing it, you just push it forward without any rotation and so nothing happens. Alternatively you can swipe left to right, but then you need to make a second swipe forward to bring it from the second safety point to fire. All this is fine for the smaller calibers, but not for the dangerous game rifles. (anyway my opinion) As well they are so very loud!

I appreciate you my friend. Thank you for the visit!

Michael Sippel and Peter Dafner in discussion
IMG-20230125-WA0108.jpg

IMG-20230125-WA0103-01.jpeg

IMG-20230125-WA0102-01.jpeg
IMG-20230125-WA0105-01.jpeg

Michael and his father (he now lives in Germany) setting up for the day!
IMG-20230124-WA0013-01.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg