Abercrombie & Fitch?

Safari Dave

AH legend
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
6,130
Location
Georgia, USA
Media
37
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
SCI, NRA, SCTP, SSSF, IHEA, IGFA, TU, NASP, USA Archery, Cherokee Gun Club
Hunted
RSA, MOZ, Wyoming, Botswana, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas.
I think the iconic store in New York City closed by the time I was in middle school.

Did anyone on the forum have the pleasure of visiting it?
 
Oshman's bought the name and opened a few stores (that had classy gun rooms and sold safari clothes) in the early 80's.

I went to the ones in Atlanta and Dallas.

My great aunt bought me an autographed Peter Capstick book at the one it Dallas in 1983 for a high school graduation gift.



The current A&F is a joke and the people who shop there don't have a clue about the real company's history.
 
Oshman’s went on a buying spree back then. They also bought Cullum & Boren Sporting goods a Dallas based “chain” owned by Zales. Unfortunately, they all went away. Retail is a tuff business.
 
I would have loved to have visited that New York store.
 
In 1972 I was working in New York at 110 Wall Street and living at 48th and Lexington. A&F was not far away so I had lots of opportunities to visit but didn’t buy much, My interest was particularly in double shotguns so I remember them well. The most expensive was a Boss over and under at $6000. The side by side doubles were typically in the $3500-$4000 range. These were Purdy and Holland and Holland doubles.
I had the money to buy one but didn’t, much to my regret.
 
I wear A & F cologne because my wife buys it for me but would otherwise not have a reason to go to that store. You were spot on about not knowing any history of that chain, had never even heard of Oshmans.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,420
Messages
1,575,659
Members
170,371
Latest member
CharmainSa
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top