A thanks all the tracker’s and the things they do

Jeff Garcia

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
1685150617846.png

If I have posted this before, I apologize. I took a frontal shot on an impala a few years ago and thought I made a good shot, but when we looked for the ram, we found little blood. Went in for lunch and thought we had lost the ram, but after lunch the PH brought extra trackers out to where we stopped before lunch. I'm thinking, "nice they are going through the motions, but there are literally hundreds of impala tracks in this area, so no way they will find him." They started on the track and fanned out and in about 45 minutes walked straight to the ram lying under a bush, where I finished him off. I have a huge respect for these guys. They absolutely know what they are doing and could pick out the wounded ram from hundreds of other tracks. They did the same thing on a wounded buffalo a day or so later.

The heroes of the bush.

The unsung hero’s of the safari experience.
@IdahoMo
The trackers we had were great. They saw stuff that I needed binoculars to see, could track an ant in a concrete parking lot as well as being great blokes. I learnt a lot about tracking even to I'm not bad at it by listening to them I'm even better. They were great to talk to and I learnt a lot about there culture as well. You are on the back of the bakki with them more often than with the PH and can form a strong bond with your tracker and have an amazing hunt. You learn a lot about the person during this time.
My trackers and PH made sure I had an amazing experience.
Bob

@IdahoMo
The trackers we had were great. They saw stuff that I needed binoculars to see, could track an ant in a concrete parking lot as well as being great blokes. I learnt a lot about tracking even to I'm not bad at it by listening to them I'm even better. They were great to talk to and I learnt a lot about there culture as well. You are on the back of the bakki with them more often than with the PH and can form a strong bond with your tracker and have an amazing hunt. You learn a lot about the person during this time.
My trackers and PH made sure I had an amazing experience.
Bob
I always follow Jerome’s tipping recommendations. However on my last hunt given the expertise we needed for my buff I way over tipped them and so glad I did just to see they knew how much I admired and greatly appreciated them!!!

I always follow Jerome’s tipping recommendations. However on my last hunt given the expertise we needed for my buff I way over tipped them and so glad I did just to see they knew how much I admired and greatly appreciated them!!!
Ok I’m going over to Zimbabwe for my 1st safari in august. I could use some advice on tipping. I have no idea how much or how to break it down.
I’ve always done DIY hunts. It’ll be my first time guided.

Along with the PH and the cook, they are the safari experience. I could not imagine a safari without trackers.
@glblanchard
One of my most memorable times on my hunt is I got to cook my favourite salmon with lemon cream sauce for everyone. This included the cook Monica and her helper.
The look on their face when I presented them their meal first was amazing. They have never had a person let alone one of the hunters do that before. Both said they felt very special that night, but it was MY PLEASURE to see them so happy.
Bob

Ok I’m going over to Zimbabwe for my 1st safari in august. I could use some advice on tipping. I have no idea how much or how to break it down.
You should really ask your PH for recommended staff tips and how many staff there are. The tipping thread has gotten a bit out of hand. There is a major difference between tipping in a camp in South Africa vs a camp in Zimbabwe that many don’t recognize. The camp in Zimbabwe will have a lot more staff than you’d expect (or is necessary) but a tip is expected for all. My PH told me $20/day for trackers and cook, $10/day for camp staff, $100 to game scout to keep happy. It can unfortunately add up to a lot.

Jerome our founder and leader has an outstanding very detailed piece in Safari Planning that is a must read. It takes all the mystery out of tipping and is extremely well done!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross