A question for lever gun users....

Yeah I’ve been using Marlin lever rifles since I was a kid. My first time disassembling one (full tear down) as a teenager did require a trip to the local gunsmith and a replacement ejector. That was a learning experience but no problem ever since. The design is not perfect but it’s probably the most user friendly of the lever actions.
Modern Henry rifles are the same. A single screw, which can be removed with a Swiss Army knife, is all that is needed to remove the lever and bolt. Very easy to do even in the field, if necessary.
 
Sh't happens, and Murphy always makes sure it happens at the worse time.

During a hunt I was quite aways from camp and my truck when I slipped in mud, snow, loose leaves my Marlin 336C 30-30 went muzzle first into the mud. Luckily...The mud only went down the muzzle about 5/8ths of a inch and was easily cleaned out using a whittled down stick to dig the mud out.

Since then I added a 3 piece cleaning rod and a patch jag to my day pack. For the purpose of cleaning out any debris that might get in my rifle barrel.

For bolt and breech opening; ie rolling blocks, falling blocks, break open, guns real simple push the rod from chamber to muzzle to clean the bore.

For cylinder guns remove or open the cylinder run the rod down from muzzle to chamber, clean the debris from the cylinder area, close or replace the cylinder.

For lever guns; since I have sinus problems, especially in the fall and winter, I carry a handkerchief or handkerchiefs with me.

What I do: unload firearm, open the action, form the handkerchief into the breech, push the cleaning rod from muzzle through the bore into the breech, remove the cleaning rod, pull the handkerchief out being careful not to dump any debris into the action area, wipe the action/chamber area clean of debris, check bore, reload rifle, go back to hunting.

In service, we use to use a condom to cover our muzzles. Currently I use: latex glove finger tip (best buy for the buck), or latex thumb/ finger cover/ protector, or a variety of: medical, electric, duct, scotch, paper, painter's tape, to cover the muzzle to protect against debris and moisture from getting into the barrel.

For debris in the action area I carry a small aerosol can of: oil, gum out, bore cleaner, WD40, to wash the area out and lube. My handkerchief suddenly becomes a gun rag to wipe excess fluid from around the firearm metal and wood or poly stock.

FYI: All firearm cleaning accessories and products that are in my day pack are placed into 2 "zip lock" bags to prevent leaking into, or otherwise contaminating my pack.
 
Sh't happens, and Murphy always makes sure it happens at the worse time.

During a hunt I was quite aways from camp and my truck when I slipped in mud, snow, loose leaves my Marlin 336C 30-30 went muzzle first into the mud. Luckily...The mud only went down the muzzle about 5/8ths of a inch and was easily cleaned out using a whittled down stick to dig the mud out.

Since then I added a 3 piece cleaning rod and a patch jag to my day pack. For the purpose of cleaning out any debris that might get in my rifle barrel.

For bolt and breech opening; ie rolling blocks, falling blocks, break open, guns real simple push the rod from chamber to muzzle to clean the bore.

For cylinder guns remove or open the cylinder run the rod down from muzzle to chamber, clean the debris from the cylinder area, close or replace the cylinder.

For lever guns; since I have sinus problems, especially in the fall and winter, I carry a handkerchief or handkerchiefs with me.

What I do: unload firearm, open the action, form the handkerchief into the breech, push the cleaning rod from muzzle through the bore into the breech, remove the cleaning rod, pull the handkerchief out being careful not to dump any debris into the action area, wipe the action/chamber area clean of debris, check bore, reload rifle, go back to hunting.

In service, we use to use a condom to cover our muzzles. Currently I use: latex glove finger tip (best buy for the buck), or latex thumb/ finger cover/ protector, or a variety of: medical, electric, duct, scotch, paper, painter's tape, to cover the muzzle to protect against debris and moisture from getting into the barrel.

For debris in the action area I carry a small aerosol can of: oil, gum out, bore cleaner, WD40, to wash the area out and lube. My handkerchief suddenly becomes a gun rag to wipe excess fluid from around the firearm metal and wood or poly stock.

FYI: All firearm cleaning accessories and products that are in my day pack are placed into 2 "zip lock" bags to prevent leaking into, or otherwise contaminating my pack.
Or a simple toy balloon will also work.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,343
Messages
1,573,563
Members
169,760
Latest member
hb88gdn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top