A&F Rifle Query Source

Jbneon

Reaction score
Media
I am in possession of an Abercrombie & Fitch #137 (pics) rifle of which I am trying to identify the origins of.

The 30-06, Springfield bolt action rifle has, allegedly, been in my families possession since around 1929/30 with the background story possibly attached to one of the great white hunters ( Maj. W. V. D. Dickinson, A. S. Waller, Esq., J. H. Barnes, Esq., and/or H. R. Stanton, Esq.) pictured in this post. These men were involved with the African location shoots of the 1931 MGM movie “Trader Horn”. (link) https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/13517/trader-horn/#notes
My family member is credited as one of the associate photographers, Robert (Bob) Roberts on the movie.(link) https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/13517/trader-horn/#credits
As the story goes, Bob was given the rifle by one of these mentioned hunters !!

Some research into the origins of #137 has revealed. Griffin & Howe records for Abercrombie & Fitch sold guns start in 1929. The rifle I am in possession of predates G&H records.
Continued research has linked me too this post. In the hopes that additional information can be gathered.
If anyone reading this post cares to post some info on where/how to continue the search ?
Would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Attachments

• A&F #137 + Fecker + A&F scope case.jpg
    A&F #137 + Fecker + A&F scope case.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • A&F engraving.jpg
    A&F engraving.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 83
  • A&F stamped #137.jpg
    A&F stamped #137.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 78

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg