A beautiful snake

Thank you @IvW, I didn’t know that on the Rinkhals, hadn’t seen any up our way but ankle deep in Snouted Cobras !

It was however a large snake for a juvenile as you can see from my size 10.5 boot ?
They grow to more than 2.5m in length and also get quite thick. Highly venomous with neurotoxic venom. Luckily they are not an agressive snake
 
When my dad was stationed at the old federal fish hatchery in Marion Alabama he killed a timber rattler. Being a low level biologist at the time and money was tight so my mom friend him up. Evidently I liked it so much that she had to keep it on top of the refrigerator, she caught my scrawny butt up on top of the fridge eating the rest. She really tanned my hide and I’ve been scared to eat snake ever since. PTSD I guess.
 
If you get medical attention quickly you are not likely to die, but not everyone gets to a hospital in time and it can lead to various issues up to and including death. Of course, some people are more sensitive to the toxin than others and are more likely to die. There are also different species of rattle snakes, and I have read that the Mojave rattle snake is the one most likely to kill a human.
The anti-venom price will probably kill you before the bite will. There was a youngster bit near here a couple of years ago. The hospital bill was incredible, over 125,000 just for anti-venom. That was for a Timber rattler bite. Cro Fab is the name of it. I've been told by a couple of biologists that it only cost a few dollars to make.
 
Here’s a timber rattler I walked up on as I was headed to a deer stand. They are quite common in our part of the world. We have these, eastern diamondbacks, cottonmouths, copperheads, pygmy rattlers and coral snakes. Don’t see as many diamondbacks as we used to. Definetly have to pay attention to where your hands and feet.
IMG_3861.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,210
Members
169,958
Latest member
JackLaster
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top