9.3x62 load development

Warren Knudsen

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
190
Reaction score
577
Media
15
Member of
NZDA, SCI
Hunted
Newzealand, Spain,Mozambique, Botswana
I have started working up a load for my ZG47 9.3x62.
I am currently working with Re15 and Nosler 250g Balistic tips.
To start with I have loaded 1 rnd each from 58g upto 62 of Re15.
58g=2579fps
59g=2588fps
60g=2636fps
61g=2677fps
62g=2687fps
61g and 62 g were the closest on the ladder rest and all showed no real pressure signs.
I proceeded to load 5 rnds at 62g Re15, the resulting velocity where
2687,2687,2681,2692,2698.group was 1inch.
20210920_092129.jpg
20210920_092318.jpg
20210920_092410.jpg
 
Looks to be on the right track as per the December - January 2008 Handloader # 250 article "Medium Mediums" by John Barsness. The loads in the article were pressure-tested at or slightly below 60,000 psi.
 
been looking for RL15 for a while. I've got the same bullets sitting on top of IMR4895, just need to take them to the range to see how they do.
 
Looks like you have a very workable load. I have had my best results with RL-17 and Big game powders. Am also looking at V550 for testing with the woodleigh 320's
 
I see some fairly significant cratering on some of the primers. That would be a pressure sign, IMO.
 
Yep, those cratered primers COULD be the sign of excessive pressure, but could also (at least partly) be contributed to soft primers and an overly large firing pin hole in the bolt face.

FWIW: Norma (who don't have any load data for 250gr bullets) have their max velocities listed as 2400 for 286gr bullets (which happens to be for N203-B, which is very similar to RL-15), and 2690 for 232gr bullets (This for totally different powders). Therefore I believe that you are on the edge of (or slightly outside) at least their comfort zone.

If the grouping is still OK, a grain or two below what you're now loading is what I would personally do. Just in case.
 
Yep, those cratered primers COULD be the sign of excessive pressure, but could also (at least partly) be contributed to soft primers and an overly large firing pin hole in the bolt face.

FWIW: Norma (who don't have any load data for 250gr bullets) have their max velocities listed as 2400 for 286gr bullets (which happens to be for N203-B, which is very similar to RL-15), and 2690 for 232gr bullets (This for totally different powders). Therefore I believe that you are on the edge of (or slightly outside) at least their comfort zone.

If the grouping is still OK, a grain or two below what you're now loading is what I would personally do. Just in case.
There is no doubt that these loads are getting up there. But they are safe in my rifle. I have settled on a load slightly less than 62 gr.
As you see a factory PMP 285g load has a similar primer. And in all honesty the picture seems to accentuate the image. Cheers.

20210922_083126.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is no doubt that these loads are getting up there. But they are safe in my rifle. I have settled on a load slightly less than 62 gr.
As you see a factory PMP 285g load has a similar primer. And in all honesty the picture seems to accentuate the image. Cheers.

I don’t think these primers show excessive pressure, there is some cratering on them but the primers are not flattened as is normally the case with overpressure.
 
I have had good results with 250 Accubonds and 62.5 gn Varget and 286 Partitions with 66 gn Big Game. The point of impact of the 250s is about 5 inches higher than the 286s. Have some of each loaded with AR-Comp but haven't shot them yet.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,139
Members
169,905
Latest member
Vaughn9005
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top