6mm BR Norma Brass

bobdahunter84

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Messages
197
Reaction score
371
Media
5
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Weird favor to ask of someone here. Came across a decent deal for a custom pre 64 model 70. Gun has a Shilen barrel marked "6mm BR Sport". Shilen never had a reamer with that specific label, per my conversation with them. So this was reamed by a gunsmith, so I don't entirely trust the nomenclature. My concern given the vintage of the gun is that it's possible it's the older 6MM BR Remington. I'm hoping it's the more modern 6MM BR Norma.

Before taking possession of the gun, I want to ensure which it is, because I have no interest if the gun is the older 6MM BR Remington, limited to very lightweight projectiles.

I'm going to check the twist rate, and if it's 1:8 or faster, I'll know for sure that it's the more modern Norma. But before I close the deal, I'd rather try to feed empty brass though it to see if it feeds nicely with the slightly longer Norma brass.

Does anyone have brass for a 6MM BR Norma they'd be willing to ship to me? Literally 2 empties would be more than sufficient for my purposes. I'll pay for shipping and give you a few bucks.
6mm br.jpg
 
I have a couple of boxes of Lapua 6mmBr brass. Let me know what you need. Regards Mike
 
I have a couple of boxes of Lapua 6mmBr brass. Let me know what you need. Regards Mike
Greatly appreciated. I literally just want 1 or 2 empty cases, to be able to confirm the bolt closes without any resistance, and to confirm it feeds the 2nd case fine. I'll Paypal you however much you want to throw a couple empty cases in an envelope and mail them to me. If that works for you, shoot me a DM, and we can exchange info.
 
If it is the shorter neck, it would be super easy for the normal reamer to be used by gunsmith and get it cleaned up. Especially if you like the gun.

If you still need the brass let me know. I have some fired cases, and maybe even some the the rem chamber that has a short neck. Just need to find them. Send a PM
 
If it is the shorter neck, it would be super easy for the normal reamer to be used by gunsmith and get it cleaned up. Especially if you like the gun.

If you still need the brass let me know. I have some fired cases, and maybe even some the the rem chamber that has a short neck. Just need to find them. Send a PM
Greatly appreciate the reply. @1peggy very graciously sent me a couple of pieces of brass today, so I think I'm good for now.

I'm thinking if it's not the 6mm BR Norma, I'd probably rather pass than ream out the chamber. If it's currently the 6mm br remington, it also very likely has a 1:10 or slower twist rate. Kind of defeats the purpose to ream out the chamber if you're handcuffed to the light ammo anyway because of the twist.
 
No worries. I used to varmints hunt a lot in my younger days. Had 6br in every twist you could imagine for 14 down to 7. I liked the lighter bullets the most for hunting chucks, shots out to 500-550. I had issues with the heavier bullets not opening up well, so switched to v-maxes and ballistic tips and ran them as fast as possible. So much fun!! Good luck with it
 
No worries. I used to varmints hunt a lot in my younger days. Had 6br in every twist you could imagine for 14 down to 7. I liked the lighter bullets the most for hunting chucks, shots out to 500-550. I had issues with the heavier bullets not opening up well, so switched to v-maxes and ballistic tips and ran them as fast as possible. So much fun!! Good luck with it
Oh I agree and would have no issue with the lighter bullets if I was a handloader. But the only factory ammo you can buy at this point is the Norma, and they don't factory load the norma cases with the lighter bullets. So the juice just isn't worth the squeeze at that point.

It's a good deal, and I considered buying the gun either way for a donor action if it is the remington version/slower twist barrel. But I need another project like I need a hole in the head...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,805
Members
170,176
Latest member
WilbertYqx
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top