6.5 creedmore???

i just picked up a 6.5 CM to fill a gap in my rifle collection. i typically like heavier rifles and am comfortable with larger calibers, but wanted a lightweight flat shooting mountain rifle primarily for sheep/goats/etc. i was able to find a great deal at sportsmans warehouse on a left handed (my burden lol) tikka t3x. also picked up some talley lightweight rings and a leupold 4.5-14x40 for it. i am running out of rifles to buy as i have calibers to cover everything on earth from chipmunk to tusker. (22lr, 6.5 CM, 30-06, 338 win mag, 416 rem mag, and two doubles=9.3x74r and 450 NE) i reload everything and am going to load up some new barnes lrx 127 grain for my new baby lol.
happy hunting!
The 6.5CM will shoot fairly flat with a 120 gr or so bullet, but then you are missing the sweet spot of that caliber. I’ve found it to work great with 142 gr Nosler ABLR bullets. They worked in africa and NA. But, and I concur with @Red Leg , there is definitely more rainbow arc (especially with the heavier bullet).

For flat shooting and mountain hunting, you are missing something in the .270-284 category. I elected to have my kids use a .270 Win in Namibia this last summer, rather than the 6.5CM. We had good results, they took 10 head of PG between them and the .270 really shined.

Curious about what MV you're getting with the Oryx. I have about a box and a half of Woodleigh 160s, 2 unopened boxes of Lapua Mega, and 1 box of unopened Oryx.

I'm getting just south of 2400 with the Woodleighs, but I got a 1 hole group of 5 shots at that velocity, and where I hunt deer and feral hogs, 100 yards is a pretty long shot. At that velocity, you can eat all the way up to the hole, very little blood-shot meat.

I shoot a 6.5x55 T3X
On the Oryx factory boxes it's 2,560 nominal. Likely quoting a 24 inch barrel. My barrel is 22 inches. Getting as close as possible to the POI of the factory ammo using H4350 and staying within safe pressures limits I'm in the high 2,400 MV.

I also have a pile of 160 gr. Weldcores and Woodleigh recommended H4831SC. Now that that powder is available again, I'll also switch the Oryx handload to that powder as well, guessing I can tweek the Oryx to 2,500 MV safely.

I would say 2,400 with the 160 gr. Weldcores is spot on in the CM as well. Time will tell.

On the Oryx factory boxes it's 2,560 nominal. Likely quoting a 24 inch barrel. My barrel is 22 inches. Getting as close as possible to the POI of the factory ammo using H4350 and staying within safe pressures limits I'm in the high 2,400 MV.

I also have a pile of 160 gr. Weldcores and Woodleigh recommended H4831SC. Now that that powder is available again, I'll also switch the Oryx handload to that powder as well, guessing I can tweek the Oryx to 2,500 MV safely.

I would say 2,400 with the 160 gr. Weldcores is spot on in the CM as well. Time will tell.
Playing around with Gordon's Reloading Tool (similar to QL), it looks like Alliant PowerPro 2000MR should yield a little over 2500 for both Lapua Mega and Norma Oryx, at about 49K - 50K PSI for the swede.

comparable loads for 6.5 CM are showing 2600+ at ~57K PSI

I have about 9 lbs of 2000MR

Creedmoor.......

Correct! I am glad someone noticed.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”

Correct! I am glad someone noticed.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”
I am sure others noticed but probably aren't quite as pedantic as I have been accused of being, LOL. :ROFLMAO:

6,5.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross