6.5 creedmore???

i just picked up a 6.5 CM to fill a gap in my rifle collection. i typically like heavier rifles and am comfortable with larger calibers, but wanted a lightweight flat shooting mountain rifle primarily for sheep/goats/etc. i was able to find a great deal at sportsmans warehouse on a left handed (my burden lol) tikka t3x. also picked up some talley lightweight rings and a leupold 4.5-14x40 for it. i am running out of rifles to buy as i have calibers to cover everything on earth from chipmunk to tusker. (22lr, 6.5 CM, 30-06, 338 win mag, 416 rem mag, and two doubles=9.3x74r and 450 NE) i reload everything and am going to load up some new barnes lrx 127 grain for my new baby lol.
happy hunting!
The 6.5CM will shoot fairly flat with a 120 gr or so bullet, but then you are missing the sweet spot of that caliber. I’ve found it to work great with 142 gr Nosler ABLR bullets. They worked in africa and NA. But, and I concur with @Red Leg , there is definitely more rainbow arc (especially with the heavier bullet).

For flat shooting and mountain hunting, you are missing something in the .270-284 category. I elected to have my kids use a .270 Win in Namibia this last summer, rather than the 6.5CM. We had good results, they took 10 head of PG between them and the .270 really shined.
 
Curious about what MV you're getting with the Oryx. I have about a box and a half of Woodleigh 160s, 2 unopened boxes of Lapua Mega, and 1 box of unopened Oryx.

I'm getting just south of 2400 with the Woodleighs, but I got a 1 hole group of 5 shots at that velocity, and where I hunt deer and feral hogs, 100 yards is a pretty long shot. At that velocity, you can eat all the way up to the hole, very little blood-shot meat.

I shoot a 6.5x55 T3X
On the Oryx factory boxes it's 2,560 nominal. Likely quoting a 24 inch barrel. My barrel is 22 inches. Getting as close as possible to the POI of the factory ammo using H4350 and staying within safe pressures limits I'm in the high 2,400 MV.

I also have a pile of 160 gr. Weldcores and Woodleigh recommended H4831SC. Now that that powder is available again, I'll also switch the Oryx handload to that powder as well, guessing I can tweek the Oryx to 2,500 MV safely.

I would say 2,400 with the 160 gr. Weldcores is spot on in the CM as well. Time will tell.
 
On the Oryx factory boxes it's 2,560 nominal. Likely quoting a 24 inch barrel. My barrel is 22 inches. Getting as close as possible to the POI of the factory ammo using H4350 and staying within safe pressures limits I'm in the high 2,400 MV.

I also have a pile of 160 gr. Weldcores and Woodleigh recommended H4831SC. Now that that powder is available again, I'll also switch the Oryx handload to that powder as well, guessing I can tweek the Oryx to 2,500 MV safely.

I would say 2,400 with the 160 gr. Weldcores is spot on in the CM as well. Time will tell.
Playing around with Gordon's Reloading Tool (similar to QL), it looks like Alliant PowerPro 2000MR should yield a little over 2500 for both Lapua Mega and Norma Oryx, at about 49K - 50K PSI for the swede.

comparable loads for 6.5 CM are showing 2600+ at ~57K PSI

I have about 9 lbs of 2000MR
 
Creedmoor.......

Correct! I am glad someone noticed.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”
 
Correct! I am glad someone noticed.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”
I am sure others noticed but probably aren't quite as pedantic as I have been accused of being, LOL. :ROFLMAO:
 
6,5.jpg

:ROFLMAO:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,591
Members
169,377
Latest member
CoralTyt26
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top