.585 Nyati

Coldswede

AH senior member
Joined
Apr 12, 2017
Messages
52
Reaction score
35
Media
2
Alright guys i have been offered to buy a 585 for 700 dollars including reloading equipment. The question now is there any way for me to make it shootable?
 
No way possible to make it shootable.. it’s best to sell it to me.. lol
Pictures?
 
Yes start with lighter loads, work up. Do most of your shooting off of sticks not the bench. Fit and balance will make a huge difference to felt recoil
 
Too much!! You will need to download it.

You need to check a few things before buying it though as there may be a reason for the price tag.

There are three versions, one with a case length of 2.8 " and another with a 3" case. Both have a 0.640" rim. Third one uses a 0.590 rim(same as 416 Rigby). This version(third one) should be avoided at all cost as reliable feeding is almost impossible due to the extensively rebated rim.
You also need to check the chamber neck as many have excessively tight necks. You may then have to ream it out to 0.614" to avoid excessive chamber pressure.

The rifle should weigh about 12-13 pounds in order to help tame the recoil. I would not exceed 2200 fps with this cartridge as bullets were originally designed for the 577 NE at lower velocity. Exceeding these design criteria may lead to bad field performance.

Recoil in this behemoth is surprisingly violent. At higher velocities the rifle seems to want to twist out of your hands and the recovery time for the second shot is increased dramatically. Hang on tight otherwise it may be a one shot affair.

It will take some serious commitment to use a rifle thus chambered and I would rather just take it for a test shoot and then decline the offer.

Too much of a good thing is often bad.

Personally I would pass.
 
Last edited:
If you decide to pass on the deal.. please provide contact information on the seller! :)
 
Just mount it in the back of a jeep. :)

I will stick to my 50BMG rifles.
 
depends on what you mean by "shootable".

- does it come with a good supply of brass? this brass can be extremely difficult to get.
- how heavy is the rifle? muzzle break?

if the rifle is an appropriate weight (12+ pounds) and it comes with a healthy supply of brass then the answer to your question is... yes. there is no need to load this kind of cartridge to extremes, simply loading it to the old 577 NE 3" specs (750gr at 2050fps) will be very effective on large game. you could even load it down to 577 BPE levels for normal large game and plinking at the range.

-matt
 
What would a reduced 577bpe load look like with modern powders?
 
Load it with Trail Boss and you'll do just fine.

For $700 you're getting one heck of a deal. Hell, the reloading equipment alone could be worth as much (dies alone go for a few hundred dollars, minimum).
 
What would a reduced 577bpe load look like with modern powders?

cant say for sure with the 585 Nyati, im not that familiar with hand loading for it. figure out the water capacity of a Nyati case and compare it to the water capacity of a 577 NE 3" case and it should give you a rough idea of how to compare loads.

-matt
 
Or, buy a canister (or two) of Trail Boss. It's just the thing for reduced loads in a heavy hitter.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,220
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top