5.56 and .223 ammunition ban.......

I don't know if anyone remembers the story printed in Guns or Handgunner several years ago that was the best example of people's misconception of Kevlar body armor. Two Russian police were on duty with their newly issued armor, brainiac #1 has scholar #2 stab him with a knife to prove his armor is the cats pajamas. While #1 bled to death from a knife wound to the heart, #2 figured out that "bullet proof" vest was not exactly knights armor. Word association is a killer, you would think the anti's and tree huggers would love "green" tip ammo, black talon got put on the endangered species list over media hype as well.
If I were a major ammo manufacturer I would name my most violently expanding projectile something cute. No one would ever think a projectile called "fluffy bunnie" or "cuddly kitten" would be evil! Lol

Precisely. A retired RCMP officer once told me he did a test with a 303 enfield. It traveled through 5 vests stopping on the sixth. He worked up north where the locals used them extensively and said the vest never gave him a feeling of security.

Guess we also need to ban the .375 H&H too. It is a pistol cartridge you know...
:A Banana Sad:

pistol.jpg

Reactions: lcq
A couple of things on what this crusade was about. There are a couple of handguns now that will fire the M855 or .223 ammo and that is what they were pushing the ban for. There is a law out there somewhere that says that a hand gun can not shoot armor piercing ammo on the books already and that is where the prez and BATF was pushing this. The rifles that are chambered for this round were just collateral damage.

I personally think that they found a loophole and wanted to do what they could and thought that they could get it done without any problems. Which is where they went wrong.

A couple of things on what this crusade was about. There are a couple of handguns now that will fire the M855 or .223 ammo and that is what they were pushing the ban for. There is a law out there somewhere that says that a hand gun can not shoot armor piercing ammo on the books already and that is where the prez and BATF was pushing this. The rifles that are chambered for this round were just collateral damage.

I personally think that they found a loophole and wanted to do what they could and thought that they could get it done without any problems. Which is where they went wrong.

You are more trusting of the conniving Obama and his sycophantic BATF than many of us. Barry and his minions were directly targeting the AR15 which he refers to as an Assault Rifle (it isn't select fire so it is just another self loader). The AR has been a burr under his saddle and along with the Brady Bunch and that crackpot Bloomberg there has been a never ending push to ban the AR

You are more trusting of the conniving Obama and his sycophantic BATF than many of us. Barry and his minions were directly targeting the AR15 which he refers to as an Assault Rifle (it isn't select fire so it is just another self loader). The AR has been a burr under his saddle and along with the Brady Bunch and that crackpot Bloomberg there has been a never ending push to ban the AR

Oh, I don't trust him or the rest of the liberals that we have in Washington or the ones that are still running the state that I live in. I know that once one brand of ammo is banned then it isn't that hard to go after another type of ammo which will take out the firearm that is designed to shoot it.

It is a lot like deer hunters saying that it is OK to get rid of AR type of rifles since they usually are not used for deer hunting and that the government would never take away their bolt action rifles and that it doesn't affect them. But I have always figured that once you let them start it is like a avalanche rolling down a hill, you just can't stop it.

Reactions: lcq
Oh, I don't trust him or the rest of the liberals that we have in Washington or the ones that are still running the state that I live in. I know that once one brand of ammo is banned then it isn't that hard to go after another type of ammo which will take out the firearm that is designed to shoot it.

It is a lot like deer hunters saying that it is OK to get rid of AR type of rifles since they usually are not used for deer hunting and that the government would never take away their bolt action rifles and that it doesn't affect them. But I have always figured that once you let them start it is like a avalanche rolling down a hill, you just can't stop it.

JimP...I don't have any statistics for you, but the majority of AR shooters don't hunt. I am an old guy who has no use for an AR. My son though has or has had several. I am in Florida, he is in Arkansas. We both agree though that the majority of AR owners are younger and don't hunt. And based on what I see at the ranges I shoot on, most of them have never been taught how to shoot, but many have every gadget they can afford bolted on to the rifle.
The day before the ATF backed off of the green tip ban, I walked through my local Gander and Academy just looking around. There was no shortage of .223 ammo. All of the brands were there, mostly soft points though. I presume the green tip ammo is cheap, and that is why many were buying all they could find. Now many are selling to pay off there credit card! My son is actively looking for these people who bought more than they could afford and willing to sell for 10-15 cents a round. He did the same with magazines two years ago after Sandy Hook and made some big money within about 4-5 months.
Your avalanche rolling down a hill, is referred to as the slippery slope doctrine. This term is applied by journalists and political hacks to every instance where big government has proposed a new law or regulation which can be directly connected to the bill of rights.

They have been doing it to us Canadians for years. Confiscating (the term government uses for stealing) our guns without compensation. It always starts with a public shooting or a bureaucrat with a hardon for a particular gun. Then a vote trolling politician gets on his soapbox and starts with the old lies and emotion rhetoric. Soon a complicit (liberal) media jumps on board with the "public safety" bull and it is all over, your guns stolen by the state and you receive nothing. Obama is trying to make the US look like Canada where we have no Property Rights, no Second Amendment and a country run by unelected courts and bureaucrats (like europe).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LachlanZ68

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg