.458 Lott recoil is no joke

Bob,
The Missus wouldn’t know a Whelen from a Winchester from a Weatherby! The only thing she knows is when my ammo or reloading components purchase hits the bank account and she says “What the hell did you buy now?!” I tell her, with a straight face, I bought this item because Bob Nelson from OZ said I should buy it because it was a great deal! She then states, “Is that the guy with 214 guns?” “No honey, that guy is Toby458”. Bob only has a .35 Whelen. “A 35 WHAT! “. I said, “yeah, that’s what everybody else here asks?”.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
@ CoElkHunter
Watch out @TOBY458 next you know his missus will be blaming you for his next purchase of firearm related equipment.
Bob

With the brake, it should’ve recoiled like a .338WM or less?
@CoElkHunter
I haven't fired a 338 win mag but I can assure you even with the brake the 460 makes you sit up and take notice but as I said the 378 is just horrendous in my view.
Bob

There is nothing wrong with the .458 Lott. It all comes down to stock fit and shooting technique. I have no problem with mine scoped
Or with irons. I agree, if it bothers you, shoot something lighter, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that because it’s wrong for you it’s a poor choice for those who can shoot it well. I have shot buffalo with both the ,375 and the Lott. The difference is dramatic.
Amen brother

I'm a big bore junkie and recently had my Ruger No. 1H Tropical re-bored from .458 Win Mag to .458 Lott. I took it out the other day and could only fire 3 rounds before I had to stop. The recoil on it is almost nightmarish. I've never had a gun kick like that before. It probably doesn't help that the butt pad on it is kind of stiff being that the gun was made in 2001 or so.

But it is a nightmarish rifle to shoot. I have a 416 Rem Mag Model 70 that I love to shoot and have put 40 rounds through it in a range session, and I've owned a .375 H&H and found that to be pretty easy to shoot. But the Lott just seems like it's on a whole 'nother level in terms of ferocity. It seriously makes my 416 Rem feel like kind of a sissy gun, and that gun/round is absolutely a beast in and of itself. But the Lott is just on a whole 'nother tier.

What's the best way to reduce the recoil on it? I'm thinking of a Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator pad... something spongy. Don't really want to brake it since I may take it hunting out west for moose or grizzly at some point in the future, but if that's necessary I may have to. If I can't find anything to reduce the recoil I may just have to sell this ferocious monster.
@hammz
The best way to reduce the recoil is to get rid of it and stick with your 416.
Bob

@IvW
That’s right . Somchem S325 does not exist . I meant to write S335 . The correct load data is as follows :

60 grains of Somchem S335 topped with 10 grains of Somchem S265 . Bullet is a 475 grain South African PMP monolithic solid bullet .

From the 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel of my .458 WM , the chronographed velocity was 2196 feet per second . And yes , I am willing to stand behind my claim . It is a duplex load ( ie two different gunpowders are used ) . But duplex loads have never bothered me . If you do not like duplex loads , then I can give you the load data in IMR 3031 gunpowder ( however I have only tried it with 500 grain Hornady bullets ) .

I have heard of Somchem S321 , but I have not used it yet .
@Professor Mawla
If my memory serves me correctly it was Elmer Kieth that experimented with duplex loads in his 33OKH with reasonable success.
Bob

So with the duplex load, one powder goes in the shell and then the other. The goal is to keep them layered or is it a mixture at some point? I'm guessing that the load fills the case to capacity or else it gets mixed up over time? Please tell us, mainly me, more. Let us, the group of people reading this post, receive this knowledge calmly so that a level of respect can be maintained for all by all.
@Forrest Halley
A lot of people that use the old black powder cartridges use a duplex load.
They load up to 10 grains of 3031 then top it off with the appropriate amount of black powder. It is supposed to give better ignition and cleaner burn.
As I said to @Professor Mawla it think it was Elmer Kieth that experimented with duplex loads in his 33OKH with reasonable success.
Bob

Just so you know, I had to go elsewhere to get a quickload done for me. The quickload fairy apparently doesn't come by often here.
@Forrest Halley
The quick load fairy may not appear often but the Wayne blackells load from a disc info is,readily available from me If'n anyone asks me.
Bob

Well no, this isn't to start a war. In my opinion, if someone needs/wants to use a lead sled to develop loads, by all means use one. But for a heavy recoiling 50 meter DG rifle, what loads are you developing? I can hit a pie plate at fifty yards most of the time with my open sighted Lott, so MOA isn't necessary? But, if I want to develop loads for 200 meters with a 350gr bullet I might use a lead sled or a tree? Sniping with a Lott or .458 and up? That'll be the next big thing! Forrest, you first! Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Mate being the older and supposedly wiser you should be the shining example for the young fella @Forrest Halley.
He could learn a lot from you. Please attach a video of yourself touching off the Lott.

Muzzle brake recoil reduction by up to 50%
New recoil pad up to 35% reduction
Past recoil vest 10 % reduction
Mercury recoil reducer another 15% reduction
Dang I've now got your vicious 458 Lott jumping forward off your shoulder because I have just reduced the recoil by 110%
Dang I'm good ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
But If'n you got a Whelen you wouldn't have to worry about the recoil to start with.
Bob

I dont use muzzle brakes or sleds. Ive always said if you can't handle it, buy a smaller gun. I don't mean that to be offensive to anyone. I just see sleds and brakes as a crutch, or training wheels for those who's feet can't touch the ground.
@Viral_SIGness
Muzzle brake are great for people with shoulder injury that want to keep shooting their favorite rifle. That's why I have one and am still able to enjoy my Whelen. Others around me mighty like it b it he'll it sure makes me happy.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Mate being the older and supposedly wiser you should be the shining example for the young fella @Forrest Halley.
He could learn a lot from you. Please attach a video of yourself touching off the Lott.

Muzzle brake recoil reduction by up to 50%
New recoil pad up to 35% reduction
Past recoil vest 10 % reduction
Mercury recoil reducer another 15% reduction
Dang I've now got your vicious 458 Lott jumping forward off your shoulder because I have just reduced the recoil by 110%
Dang I'm good ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
But If'n you got a Whelen you wouldn't have to worry about the recoil to start with.
Bob
Bob,
I'm much older than young Forrest Halley, but he may be eminently wiser. He didn't fall for the, "shoot a .375 H and H out of your Lott and see what happens?". See, I may just do that. The OP (who's a PH) stated he did this to create Lott brass long before there was actual Lott brass available to him. What could possibly happen in a strong actioned rifle like my CZ? Anyway, I use a slip on Limbsaver over the factory pad and a Past magnum vest, but then I had too much lop, so I eliminated the Past. I've only shot standing using a sling support with open sights. Ten rounds, 8 on the pie plate in a couple of minutes, and I'm done. I'm sure Forrest can shoot double that? He just can't hit the pie plate at 50yds! Ha! Ha! I'm kidding, I'm sure he's a Lott sniper at 100yds.
CEH

@Viral_SIGness
Muzzle brake are great for people with shoulder injury that want to keep shooting their favorite rifle. That's why I have one and am still able to enjoy my Whelen. Others around me mighty like it b it he'll it sure makes me happy.
Bob
That's a very good point, but I wasn't speaking towards the ones that have a NEED. I completely understand. I'm talking about the ones who buy a .460 Wby as a falice extension.

@Viral_SIGness
Bob
Plus, they help to clear the benches around you when at the shooting range? That makes me happy!

That's a very good point, but I wasn't speaking towards the ones that have a NEED. I completely understand. I'm talking about the ones who buy a .460 Wby as a falice extension.
Especially one with a long suppressor on the end of the barrel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber