458 Lott case trimming

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2019
Messages
158
Reaction score
78
Location
Central OH
Media
2
Hunted
MT, OH
So, I’m about to embark on reloading 458 Lott. I think I’m basically ready, except case trimming. I have a L.E.Wilson case trimmer...do they make a Lott case holder? Can I use the Win Mag case holder?

If not this, what setup do I need to trim at a reasonable cost?
 
But are you just loading for a 458? You have lots of options if you load for more than just that.
 
If it’s anything like my RCBS case trimmer, all you should need is a belted mag shell holder plate(300 win mag is the same) and a 45 caliber pilot. Hope this helps.
 
But are you just loading for a 458? You have lots of options if you load for more than just that.
I load for a handful of calibers. So far, the L.E. Wilson and TrimIt 2 have been able to meet my case trimming needs.
 
That’s interesting, I haven’t used one of those, but it looks like it would be easier to get the brass in line with the pilot than mine. Sometimes you really have to push to get it all the way to the bottom of the shellplate.
 
That’s interesting, I haven’t used one of those, but it looks like it would be easier to get the brass in line with the pilot than mine. Sometimes you really have to push to get it all the way to the bottom of the shellplate.
No pilot at all. Can trim before or after sizing. It cuts easily and changes cases pretty quick.
 
That’s interesting, I haven’t used one of those, but it looks like it would be easier to get the brass in line with the pilot than mine. Sometimes you really have to push to get it all the way to the bottom of the shellplate.

so why are the cases a bad fit in the shellplate?
is that shell holder.
something must be wrong, either cases too big or thingy too small.
deal with this and the problem goes away.
incidentally, if you can get a lee case trimmer, they are cheap, effective, and reliable.
bruce.
 
Mine is the old style so when you press the lever to retract the piston that tightens the brass against the shell plate it does not move far enough. Which requires a good push to get it to the bottom. I think the RCBS trim pro 2 are a better design. Either way I just picked up a Lyman trimmer and will try it next time I need to trim.
 
L.E. Wilson trimmer

As you can see, it is a bit different....holds on the case body.

I know what I suggested sounds like a lot of money. But keep in mind it is trimming, deburring and chamfering all in one step. I can do 6 cases about every 10 seconds.

I know I am a little different than some on this board. I like to think of a purchase like this as me buying time. I can make more money but I cannot make more time for my family.

YMMV
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,385
Messages
1,574,702
Members
170,139
Latest member
mostbetnpnp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top