458 Lott bullet option questions (projectiles)

Benevolence

Reaction score
Hi all, quick intro then the question. I've thoroughly enjoyed the big calibers and booms that I've had in my first year shooting guns. I either have or had a 45-70, 500SW, 338 lapua, and an aluminum frame 44 mag (S&W 329pd). I've since sold the 45-70 and looking for a bigger/thumpier, off-hand, large caliber gun. The CZ-550 in 458 Lott seems to fit that role in manner that doesn't ruin a student's bank account too much. At this point, I don't hunt, only steel and paper. For that reason, I'm wondering about cheaper bullets (than $1/projectile) for enjoying the 458 Lott with more than just a round or two per range outting.

Are there reasonably priced (~$0.40/projectile) bullets that can be used for reloading at full/near-full capabilities (~500gr @ 2250ft/s)? I see some 510gr cast lead, copper gas checked bullets at this price (Matt's Bullets). Does one run into issues trying to use cast lead bullets in these cartridges/rifles? I recall seeing an article that the CZ550 in 458 lott had a chamber that was actually quite nice for lead cast bullets but I'm not seeing lead bullet discussions in the magnum rounds like I did with .45-70.

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

you picked a very good cartridge for someone on a budget.

the 458 Lott can use any .458" bullet, this means any bullet you would use in your 45-70 will also work in the 458 Lott. given the speeds you will see with the 458 Lott you wont be able to use cast bullets for the most part unless you download the cartridge quite a bit. a cast lead bullet will not survive even a light load from this cartridge.

midway has these on sale (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...r-350-grain-flat-nose-box-of-50-bulk-packaged)

-matt

Screenshot (171).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon Trail cast bullets are of a four metal alloy that includes silver, so they have a much higher operating temperature/velocity than lead/tin/antimony bullets. I use their bullets in 458 Win Mag loads that reach 2000 fps with no leading, so they would probably work well in your Lott. Mail ordered from Oregon Trail the 300 grain is $.19 ea in boxes of 500.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. Those jacketed bullets look like they may be a good option, assuming the jacket doesn't deteriorate at ~2600-2900ft/s. I'll look into some of the harder cast bullets as well. I don't see much of any other options for high velocity 458 rounds; I suppose at some point the materials cost for 500gr of copper starts to drive the prices up a bit.

just keep in mind that a full power load using a 350gr bullet in a 458 Lott will be around 2800fps. this speed will be fine for targets but the bullet would not hold together on game. the 300gr bullet is in my opinion just too light for the 458 Lott. with some tinkering you may find a load for the 350gr bullet thats accurate at lower speeds but i imagine there will be a lower limit considering case size. Speer makes a 400gr bullet that will likely be easier to develope loads for and is relatively inexpensive.

-matt

Have a great time at the range with the. Lott!

I would vote for shooting cast bullets as well. If you're low on funds and just wanna shoot, someplace like Missouri Bullet Company is the place to buy cheap plinking bullets. http://www.missouribullet.com. 200 bullets for $42 isn't bad. A 405 grain hard cast in front of a .45/70 trapdoor load in the Lott will send it downrange at a moderate but effective velocity for just ringing steel and punching paper. For that matter, it will work quite well on most non-dangerous game as well. Never underestimate a good cast bullet. Keep it under 1400FPS and the Missouri HC bullets won't lead unless your bore is grossly oversize or undersized even though they're not gas checked. I've shot their .379 Ballard bullet in my .375H&H at 1550FPS with little leading. You don't need 5,200ft-lbs to punch through 0.03" thick paper, or make a gong ring. You realize that when the bores get this big, loading full charges you'll get less than 100 rounds from a pound of powder. In my .416 I get 85 shots per pound. If you wanna save money, burn less powder or buy it by the case. I do understand the desire to shoot full house loads though. Sometimes you just have to chase the dragon.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm sitting here with 50 of the previously mentioned 'factory second' 350gr bullets and 50 Woodleigh 500gr FMJ's (were on clearance for $1.30). I believe (hope) the steel FMJ woodleigh's shouldn't cause excessive barrel wear. I contacted Woodleigh and got some load data recommendations to start with that I'll give a try with.

I'll report back with a video of my (safe) shenanigans.

Try Cast Performance, they are known for producing good hard bullets that may work well in the Lott. I use them in my 458 Winchester and never had a problem, of course it isn't as fast as the Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg